Modules to add to Mimeophon and Morphagene

Nothing wrong with this setup especially if paired with SubH and x2 0-Coasts.

There’s plenty of modulation options, plenty of rhythmic modulation and just lots to manipulate while maintaining ergonomics. You don’t have much to attenuate signals, but just what’s on the 0-Coasts. It could still work nicely though.

It’s a pretty powerful system considering QPAS in pingable, and Mimeophon can be a sound source and not just an effect.

I started off with the same 3 modules and I kept Morphagene and Mimeophon together in a Pod for a long while because I liked keeping them mobile. It was effective and fun.

1 Like

I don’t personally own O_C, but I’ve looked at it in the past, and my sense is that it doesn’t really fit in this rack. It might do better in your larger configuration.

I’ve listened to many FX Aid (XL, Pro) demos and my sense is that there’s a lot on offer but much of it is very similar and rather basic. It’s inexpensive and could be handy in a small case, but Versio (which I already touted above) will fit here (even if you retain uO_C) and has a lot more interesting scope.

1 Like

I think this depends if you’re using the additional features of QPAS, including modulation inputs, or not because it does more than Ikarie. Those extras might not be important to everyone. Smile Pass is pretty nice too.

2 Likes

Probably a good call about O_C and maybe I’ll leave it out. I was worried about the FX Aid and is why I asked. The Versio does seem like a good choice, although I was also thinking alternatively of Bastl’s new Basil, which I do like the look of. And if I understand it correctly it can be reflashed to a Pizza FM too.

It’s early days for Basil. I wasn’t entirely blown away by the demo but will wait to see what people do with it. I bought Pizza specifically for a period of a few months where I only had a Pod64x and whatever modules I could fit into it. That was a great purchase; I’m really happy with it, and I’m chuffed that it is now a platform with alternate firmwares.

1 Like

thanks, some really useful thoughts. Maybe I’ll hold of the FX for a little while, just run it into the OT or Live for a month or so and see what I feel it needs, and hopefully by then Basil will have lots of examples online to see how it sounds.

2 Likes

Just got an O_C and have been playing around with it for hours today in my - mainly Make Noise - 7U case.

After a while I was thinking: man I could ditch Maths, Wogglebug and René, cause the O_C is só versatile. From envelopes to sequencing, from random cv to bit crushing audio signals.

If I was to build a smaller rig, it would defo be in there because it does so much.

1 Like

well that puts a spanner in the works, so to speak. What firmware are you running?

Are you even allowed to voice a thought like that?

3 Likes

Hemisphere. I am really impressed, but in the end it’s a personal question what works for you.

Well, I’ll somehow have to make room for a Spectraphon, one way or the other now :innocent:

2 Likes

My O_C comment was based on the OG firmware, which had a few things I was interested in. My sense of Hemisphere (and keep in mind I’ve never used one, this is all based on reading and watching demos) was that there were many more simple functions, making it more like Disting. Spectraphon looks interesting (there are a couple of spectral processor options in an alternate Versio firmware I plan to work with soon) but if you’re moving out Maths, Rene, and Wogglebug, you’re giving up on a fair amount of playable modulation. Spectraphon is the size it is to space out the knobs (it’s digital, the circuits could be smaller). Modules that are less tweakable in the moment, like Pam’s, are gradually working their way to the edges of my system, in favour of ones that are more immediate (like Batumi).

Yeah, you’re right. O_C with Hemisphere saves you buying all kinds of small modules for simple, specific tasks. And the possibility to use two apps at the same time (or together) makes it very advanced in a way. All in 8hp, if you get the micro version.

I was joking about ditching Maths, René and Wogglebug. If I was to make place in my case for the Spectraphon at some moment, I would probably ditch Phonogene and Telharmonic. That’s exactly 34 hp!

At the moment I am very happy with this configuration, in a 7U Make Noise case with the mults in the middle (x-pan is on its way)

2 Likes

Good! I didn’t want to presume.

1 Like

I bought a truncated T&MMM (no maths) a few month ago.
For now maths has been replaced by quadrax, erica synths modulation and ochd. I feel like something is missing but I don’t know what yet…
Qpas is really nice but is not fundamental (it depends on what you want to get out of the system)

2 Likes

I’ve only had Ikarie a little while, and never a qpas, but I must say I really love its sound. Messing with drums is great.

1 Like

Well I finally got a Morphagene today, been saving for a little while, and watching reverb, wow it’s amazing. I seemed to have spent the last two hours simply playing in a few notes on the piano and seeing what can be done with it, while getting to know the basic controls. Just as bit of delay/reverb in Live and using wogglebug, which seems to do wonders with the Morphagene.

2 Likes