Modules to add to Mimeophon and Morphagene

I want to built a small modular set-up for audio manipulation based around Mimeophon+Morphagene pair. I don’t want any OSCs as I’m planning to mainly use external audio. What would you add?

1 Like

The Tape and Micro system is not an option?

Would you load sounds on the SD card? If not, maybe a module to bring the audio up to cv level.

I think a random module (Wogglebug) and/or an envelope generator (Xaoc Zadar) with them would be cool.

1 Like

I was going to get the tape and micro system but right now it would be too costly to order.
I’ve got Batumi.
Yeah, I was planning to use an sd card, but I’ll think about it. And a random module is a good idea.

How about a filter, like QPAS?

1 Like

For a while I’ve been thinking of getting a Morphagene with one of the 4ms pods, and also wondering what I need with it. I’ve not got a case but have some modular gear that can perform certain functions… Pittsburgh VRL, which has random sources (albeit not as complex as something like wogglebug), it has 2 function generators too, these could be used as envelopes but then I guess that would be no good if its mono? I’ve got the 0 Cntrl for sequencing and 0 Coast which I guess could interact with it in some way as well as other cv sources like A4, although I plan on selling the 0 Coast.

I know theres a lot of modules that would be great to have with it but my question is… what do I absolutely need with it that’s not covered above?

I don’t think there is anything you absolutely need. Maybe consider how youll bring the audio in and out, mix with your setup.

2 Likes

Yea, probably feed it into the Octatrack, which then goes into and A&H mixer with send and returns for pedal effects, I guess the OT is my envelope if I need one come to think of it.

I know people have said wrt to levels modular to OT is fine but I personally would consider some kind of attenuation between them to be on the safe side. You don’t wanna damage the OTs inputs…

That’s what I was thinking at first but then read ‘STEREO I/O with Input Gain Selection, works with line- or modular-level signals’ so assumed it would be fine.

1 Like

Is that MKI or II OT? I bet the mkii is fine…

Then I don’t think you absolutely need anything.

But since it’s modular you always need something :wink:

Ha, true, thats why I’m trying to avoid a rack and just buy a pod for it. Yea its a mk2.

Mimeophon needs some clock sources, at least one for main clock and one for variations of delay time or the mysterious μ modulator.

I would suggest getting a Maths for free clock plus modulation, or a Tempi or MIDI 2 CV module for synced clock.

TBH Mimeophone and Morphagene with an FH 2 would already be an instrument by itself and a modulation monster with an Elektron sequencer attached to it.

Apologies for the necro post. I am seriously considering this combination of MN modules in a Moog 60HP powered case so I can put it in a stand along with my Subharmonicon:

I also want to throw field recordings and/or noise at this mini system and eventually a Pulsar-23. Any drawbacks to this setup? I know there’ll be some faff going between Pulsar and Eurorack, but about the mini Make Noise FX rack, is there anything lacking or more important than QPAS? I also have a couple of 0-Coasts and a TR-06 for modulation, gates, etc, but I’d rather not add more.

1 Like

Looks like a badass setup to me, as long as you’ve got plenty of modulation coming from those other sources. There are so many tasty CV inputs with these 3 modules, definitely want to be running voltage through there to keep things lively.

If you could fit an X-Pan in there instead of the XOH, I think that would open up some more fun stereo possibilities, but XOH is a solid choice too (and fits very nicely in the 60hp).

2 Likes

Not anything wrong with this setup imo. No modulation sources, but you mentioned 0-Coasts…

1 Like

What a nice idea. After the latest announcement turned out to be a module rather than a 0-Something, I was daydreaming about MN offering curated sets of modules in 0-sized cases. This is pretty close.

1 Like

I might recommend a Pamela’s New/Pro Workout and a Disting Ex instead of the QPAS, personally

Pamela’s gives you plenty of modulation, and the Disting will be a nice Swiss army knife for anything you might need(including filter)

1 Like

Interesting, I’ve finally sold a bunch of stuff that I was not using and while my bigger rack is developing I was thinking of this:

I already have most of this, although not the FX AID XL, but really wanted something that I could focus on the Morphagene. I thought having the FX AID would mean I don’t have to have it coming out into Ableton or the OT.

I probably don’t need uO_C in there, but I only just picked it up 2nd hand and really want to learn it.

What do you think?

I’m sorry, im not familiar with those

QPAS is kind of big for what it does. In that space, you could fit Ikarie (as seen in a post below yours) and Desmodus Versio (which can be flashed to all sorts of other interesting firmwares).

2 Likes