just some portishead vibes :grinning:

3 Likes

11 Likes

This is what we need (sorry Zimmer.)

2 Likes

sick mask

Oh thats cool.

1 Like

I took my MnM at my workplace with me to make the time run faster and to my horror I canā€™t seem to get the arp working. Iā€™ve checked all (I think) of the settings of the machine but no dice. Any suggestions?

Havenā€™t had this type of issue before so Iā€™m quite baffled.

edit: Derp, had my trig select set to amp only lol.

4 Likes

My mnm has a broken level encoder so canā€™t use song mode properly! Need to fix it sometime.

A little love letter to my 1st (Elektron) love.

5 Likes

Watched a Drew McDowall interview this morning while having breakfast and he was talking about all of the stuff leading them to making the Time Machines album, like how they were very inspired by the work of Eliane Radigue etc.

As Iā€™m in the process of learning how to use the MnM in more experimental ways it dawned on me that Iā€™ve never really done any harsh drone stuff with it.
The way the filters and the distortion work makes it perfect for stuff like that.
Also many of the synth engines are like theyā€™re made for droning, especially the one with interpolating between two wavetable voices.

Even by using just two tracks itā€™s possible to create these absolutely insane soundscapes and buzzing, drilling and violent tones that penetrate ones mind mercilessly, but without instantly sounding idiotic as well.

Bcs of the lack of conditional trigs Iā€™ve been hoping to find an approach to this device that is as far as possible from IDM and 90ā€™s Warp stuff, which it does so well but I canā€™t help but to feel like Iā€™m just imitating old stuff when I end up doing something like that, which of course indeed is the case.

This is not to say that from now on Iā€™ll be making only drone with it either but that this kind of exploration will surely open some new doors for me. I would highly recommend anyone to give it a try if you havenā€™t yet.

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I love Radigue too (and Coil, for that matter) and definitely love the MNM for droning.

Beside the sound of the synth engines, I think the routing possibilities and the FX tracks makes it very fun and useful for such an approach. Setting up, say, 3 tracks of synth drones, and then routing them through 3 FX tracks in parallel or series, each with their own modulations and track delays/distortion can give you some lovely complex and evolving stuff.

4 Likes

Absolutely!! The flexibility of this instrument is something to behold!!

3 Likes

The combination of McDowall/Time Machines and MnM is catnip for me, please update with any happy accidents or recipes along those lines :slight_smile:

I think I mostly need to understand neighbor tracks conceptually, time for some homework!

1 Like

I had a Monomachine many years ago. Traded a Machinedrum for it. Ended up selling the Monomachine, and regret it to this day. Have been thinking about getting a used one, but the prices are high and also worried about how well they last and if they can easily be fixed.

2 Likes

I made a short recording on my phone camera with crappy audio to show my friend.
If you want to hear I can link it here. Itā€™s definitely not Time Machines or Drew McDowall -caliber but rather a direction inspired by them, that I havenā€™t really explored much before.

edit: wanted it or not, here it is :slight_smile: : https://youtu.be/xWRrUChwfIY

The FX tracks are very straight forward and an excellent thing to have in a device like this. I made this patch at work when ever no one was around and didnā€™t en up using FX tracks with this but I intend to. Many ppl seem to dislike the MnM reverb but I really love it.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that and I hope youā€™ll find another one for a good price.
As Iā€™ve understood it Elektron still repairs them. They replaced the encoders to mine about a year ago.

2 Likes

Yes, and had no issues sending me a replacement set to cure some wobbles.

Def, thanks! Also digital grunge in a Chemical Brothers sense.

What I need to do with the MnM/MD is to come with a fresh mind, to ignore the SOPHIE hyperpop, the twee IDM beats and let the sound design and rhythm fuse a bit.

1 Like

That sounds like a great plan!! :slight_smile: Itā€™s understandable that the MD and MnM easily steer one into certain directions bcs so much iconic music has been made with them and because of the sound but sonically and structurally there is so much still yet to be discovered.

Used to love the MNM for drones. It arguably does them better than many other things. 3 LFOs, neighbour FX and that delay which just howls like a bean sĆ­dheā€¦ Yowser.
I donā€™t know if I can find the recordings but I used one for a couple of poxy black metal gigs as the acme ambient interlude person and it worked a treat.

Edit: Here it is. Typically lofi recording in an abandoned warehouse so at least itā€™s legit, replete with confused applause at the end. :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Iā€™d love a monomachine and machinedrum! Iā€™d give up my 6 elektron boxes for both of those lol.

2 Likes