Monomachine Love Thread

Bought the perfect Monomachine from @cornelius :star_struck: :pray:
Great, great and very powerful machine I must say! Had to get a little used to it’s monophonic nature :smile: I love it’s basses and drums/percussion capabilities.

First patterns got a little funky:

14 Likes

Very happy to see the monomachine finally in use. Sounds awesome! Excited to hear what else you make with it.
Will the screen protection ever come off? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Cornelius :grinning: The screen is so bright and clear so I’ll leave the protection on as long as I can. Glad it’s not strong red like on Machinedrum which is not so clear in poor light.
I’m also exited to see what I can do with it. It has quite a different sound than the Digitone. More powerful I think.

2 Likes

this is sweet! soo good

1 Like

last demo of the year (:

19 Likes

I’ve had a real fucking shitty few days and haven’t felt this sad in ages, and yet this machine is able to put a smirk on my face. What a magical box this is!!

There is something about its sound that keeps surprising me time after time.

Monomachine = eternal honeymoon :heart: :heart: :heart:

11 Likes

The simple components are excellent dirty-raw material.

1 Like

They sure are!! There is something very natural about the gritty nature of this machine, while at the same time being very synthetic sounding. It’s such a weird and pleasing mixture.

So I’ve had one hell of a time using MNM as a sound module together with OP-Z

The latest realization is using the last two tracks as FX buses and then adding macros to the pitch bend and mod wheel. This means I have two master tracks which I can affect from the OP-Z using encoders 1 and 2 sending CC#1 and 2 and also button mashing the little rubber pad on the bottom of the OP-Z (which happens to be the pitch bend) I can of course parameter lock these values and then set conditional elements to when they are active… so far it’s been rad as hell… all in all it’s a super cool performance duo

Monomachine is love

4 Likes

That sounds like a powerful duo!! Have you got any recordings of this setup by any chance?

Seeing your setup on the “your setups” -thread with the Nord I’d like to hear from you how do you think they compare? For some reason the only synths out there that remind me of the MnM sound-wise are some of the more experimental instruments from Nord.

Is there any truth to that?

Yeah I think they are comparable. There are areas with both synths were it starts to spass out at very low or high octaves and also with high resonance on the filters… I find this very unique and fun to experiment with, in a sense it feels kind of lo-fi as if the aliasing is bugging out or something, you don’t really find these type of artifacts in FPGA chips like on the Peak.

The extra ticket for me is the Chorus and Compressor on MNM which I really love for their unique flavor… OT is the only device with similar flavors of comp and chorus which is understandable.

Even if they were to make a reissue of the MNM I think they will have a hard time replicating the more out there sounds, due to the chips that were used then and now. That’s my extremly uneducated guess though.

3 Likes

Yeah, exactly those characteristics have given me that impression.

I suppose there would be a market for lo-fi sounding digital synths as so many here seem to miss that kind of thing and most of the modern synths are sounding so clean and linear.

The MnM fx are definitely special to the point that sacrificing a track or two is a fun thing to do instead of a necessary evil.

It’s cool that the OT still has some of that charm so that it’s still available for those looking for something like that.

2 Likes

I feel as OT is the real spiritual successor to MNM it pertains most of the soul of MNM imo. Both being hyper flexible and extremly unconventional.

Just the fact that you can have one mnm track trig another is awesome, especially since it not only sends the trig data it also sends velocity and note data, so you can set up your macros of an effects track to be modulated by the note data of a neighboring track… I wish other Elektrons did this as well. Would have been super useful on OT or Syntakt.

7 Likes

Very true.

Both are totally unique, have three lfo’s per track, neighbor tracks and a fanatic cult following. :slight_smile:

I’ve yet to try out triggering several tracks via one tracks triggers.
I shall give it a try right now!

edit: Holy shit!! Why haven’t I tried this before… Thanks for mentioning it for I’ve always procrastinated it for some reason. What a great tool for controlling fx tracks as well!!

6 Likes

One track triggers?

Yes, when you go to the global menu and from there the trig menu, there is a section that says “trig pos” where you can determine which other track you want to play the exact same stuff the track in question is playing.

You can also have different arp settings on those tracks which makes things very interesting.

If you have the sine engine on both tracks you can hear slight phasing.
When you use something with a bit more harmonic content like the wavetable engines, wicked stuff happens.

Panning those tracks to L and R sounds cool too, especially with slightly different speed lfo’s set to mildly modulate the pitch of those tracks.

edit: I just made a patch in which the first track is set to control track two, track two is controlling track three and track three is controlling track one. Track one and two have the wave engines and track three is the chorus engine and both of the wt engines go through that.

Combined with different arp modes on each track OMG. :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

I should mute this thread as it always brings back the MnM sadness but I just can’t bring myself to do it.
So great to still see it getting so much love.

2 Likes

It really opens up the machine even more… very good for doing multi oscillator stuff or controlling FX track…

You could make a 6 oscillator patch by just having each track trig the next track. another reason for why MNM is the best Elektron imo

3 Likes

I hope you will get a chance to buy a decent priced unit somehow to remedy the situation!
It’s not impossible, just some luck is required.

1 Like

I guess this is a good thread to post this, which I just noticed while reading a press release that notes that Harmonious Thelonius’s new album Cheapo Sounds coming out on on Bureau B was recorded entirely using a Monomachine:

http://www.bureau-b.com/harmonious_thelonious.php

His new album – challengingly entitled “Cheapo Sounds” – sees Schwander move away from tried and trusted recipes.

This musical reorientation starts with the fundamental approach to production: the entire record was created using a single instrument – the Monomachine – which lends a very physical sound to the 10 tracks featured here. The polyrhythms of earlier works are no longer in the foreground, replaced by melodies and chords interwoven on a base frame of brittle, simplified beat constructs and rugged bass pulses.

Out on 20 January:

(NB: I have no connection to this record nor to Bureau B, save for getting their press releases - just thought it might be of interest to fellow Elektronauts).

6 Likes