Monomachine mk2 for a Access Virus?

Hi, at the beggining of the week, here in my hometown, somebody offered me a Access Virus TI Desktop for my Monomachine mk2.

Is it a good trade or a bad trade?

I’m only using the VA machines on the Monomachine anyway, and I’ve always been blown away by the sound of Access Virus synths. But I dunno.

What do you think elektronauts?

Cheers :slight_smile:

Bad trade. Just compare prices.

2 Likes

I got my monomachine in my country (Argentina) for like $900 USD and i don’t think i can sell it higher prices either. It’s the MK2 version but without the +Drive

Adding the plus drive is a couple of hundred euros at Elektron HQ. With plus drive upgrade, you can clear well over 2000 dollars selling it.

2 Likes

I’ve got both.

On the financial side, Reverb shows the Mk2 MnM bouncing between about $2500 and $3000. The Virus TI2 desktop seems to range from $1300 to $1500. If money is a primary concern, then I’d ask for additional cash, or hold out for a Virus Polar - a more comparable value.

From a sonic perspective, if you only care about the VA side of the MnM, then the Virus is more powerful, more immediate and should be more satisfying. If I were you, I’d sell the MnM on Reverb rather than locally, and then look for a good deal on the Virus you prefer.

If you would like to be generous, and want a virus now, then do the trade.

2 Likes

I never thought I’d do it but I just sold my MM MK2 + for just shy of $2400.
I loved it’s quirkiness but wasn’t using it enough and wanted something to replace it that I’ll get more mileage out of.

I don’t know the Access Virus so well but it doesn’t look like it’s worth a swap in terms of financial value. You’d probably do better to sell and buy and have some money left over?

1 Like

Can you sell on Reverb?

You can make close to $2000 USD minus any shipping bloat for international sale.

It’s in-demand, even mki. And Viruses are numerous / still in production! The MM is definitely more valuable.

I retired early after a head injury. (Fully recovered now, but it took a couple of years to recover from a severely bruised brain caused by an undetected blood clot.) Sold my MM mkii to help fund early retirement. Hated to sell it, but could not pass up the $2300 I got for it. Also sold a Virus TI2LE gunmetal for $1700. I would not make that trade.

3 Likes