Monosynth for someone with chronic pain? Pro3 vs Typhon vs AS-1 vs Norand Mono

The problem:
I’ve owned a pro-3 for about a year and a half. I mostly love the experience of using it. However, due to chronic tendon issues and a mild disability, it’s painful to use - the knobs are just too stiff, and it begins to hurt my arms after just a few minutes. I’m also looking to save some space - the Pro-3 is just massive. I don’t have room to add a controller, unfortunately. I also don’t love the filters, and actively hate the ladder one. I know that almost anything else is going to feel like a step down from here in at least one way, and I’ve made peace with that.

Edit: My primary concern is knob/slider resistance, how much it will hurt to play. Secondarily, sounds and features. I’m hoping to get feedback from users of these devices on this, as well as other aspects.

Based on my current research and my needs, here’s what I’ve narrowed it down to (along with my current loves and gripes about the pro-3). I’m strongly leaning toward the Typhon, with the Norand Mono as a close second. If anybody has more detailed insight on the 3 other devices, I’d be eternally grateful.

The comparison/solutions:

Pro-3:
Pros:
Ease of navigation/patch making. Flexibility. 3 LFOs + wavetable osc as modulator. Paraphony is fun. Built like a tank

Cons:
Too aggressive. Physically hurts to use. Too big. I don’t care much for the filters. Too aggressive, too much effort to tame it.

Typhon
Pros
Sounds incredible. Quite good effects. Mostly simple to use despite the menus. 3 mod sources. Can acid OK. The effects mean I can cut down on pedals when I finally do a live set.

Cons
USB Power, no power switch. Seeing mod destinations can be fiddly. Some things are a couple layers down in the menu. Turning on produces a huge pop.

Norand Mono:
Pros:
Insane amount of automation. P-lock-ish functionality. Slides and accents sound really good - can really acid. Pattern morphing. Multiple loop modes.

Cons:
Not for sale new anymore. Reportedly has some bugs. Stepped filter.

As-1
Pros:
Sounds good. Can acid. Tiny. No bells and whistles, gets to the point.

Cons:
Almost everything is in a menu. Menu structure is deep rather than wide. Only 1 LFO (this one really stinks and would knock it out of the running if it didn’t sound so good).

2 Likes

I mostly want to know if my summary of the devices is accurate, if I’ve missed anything major about them, how people feel about them in comparison to one another, especially those who have actually used more than one of them. My primary concern is whether or not they will hurt to use, and I am trying to balance that with sound quality and how fiddly it might be.

Ultimately I am the one who’s going to be using it and making the decision, but I’m always in favor of crowdsourcing contrasting opinions when I can.

Reading your initial post it sounds like you’ve already made a decision for the Typhon. It’s available and you like the sound. I’d give it a try.

Edit: didn’t read about your chronic issues at first. Please apologise if my initial reply came across unnecessarily harsh.

1 Like

I’m sorry that your disability is forcing this change. I only have experience with the Mono. I think it would be easier to use under your circumstances. There is a 2.0 firmware coming out but they keep missing promised deadlines and delivering yet another beta. I think a big pro is the unlimited undo/redo, which lets one improvise short sequences of changes and move through them (I use this in connection with the “add a few random notes to this pattern” feature, which works quite well). It’s too bad it’s not available new right now.

2 Likes

I would suggest a miniKORG 700FS.

• Sounds incredible
  • No knobs, only switches, push buttons and travellers
  • Price is getting lower than initially
  • Travelling case is included
  • It’s the most beautiful Synth
  • Smaller than a Pro 3
5 Likes

As someone who has carpal tunnel I can sympathize with OP. It would be nice if those chiming in with experience could actually speak to the resistance of the knobs/controls on these synths. Seems like there’s some unnecessary snark up in this thread like OP should have made separate replies in all of those dedicated device threads asking if they hurt to use.

2 Likes

Theres a V2 firmware of the Norand Mono, that addresses some of your concerns.

1 Like

Never used any of the others, but the Typhon is about as fun as it gets for a mono synth and sounds amazing. The knobs are really easy to tweak so you shouldn’t have any problem with that.

2 Likes

Have you considered a used Pro 2?

• It seems like you enjoy that style of UI and the knobs are fairly loose. I got the impression they were maybe overcompensating for comments about their older knobs when they designed the Pro 3.

• I’ve seen comments from people who tried both that the Pro 2 build quality is better (more metal and wood, less plastic).

• Paraphony is even better than on the Pro 3 due to 4 identical oscillators.

• An extra LFO, an extra envelope.

• I’ve heard more appealing/unique mellow sounds from it than I have from Pro 3 demos (and I heard a lot when I was trying to decide between the two). Can be very aggressive still, albeit in a more overtly digital way.

• The extra slider might be useful if you’ve been getting on with the one on the Pro 3? Running a sequence and playing with those is pretty frictionless, if you don’t use the pressure sensitivity. A few more keys too…

If the size of the Pro 3 is a problem it might not be ideal on that front and obviously the digital oscillators make it a different proposition to the others mentioned, but I thought it was worth suggesting.

1 Like

I don’t own the Moog Grandmother, I have the Matriarch but if they’re the same the knobs are super smooth and easy to turn. Very light to the touch.

It seems like I wasn’t quite clear enough in the initial post. I think my edit clarifies that now though.

I actually forgot about this one! If there was a desktop module I’d be all over it. Love the sound. I’m not averse to menus, but I do love the Sequential workflow.

1 Like

I thought maybe you missed that part. I could have made it more clear initially. No harm done!

1 Like

For some reason I just don’t get along with Moogs, something about actually using the ladder filters bothers me. I wish I liked using them more, I love hearing them.

1 Like

This might be too left field, but have you considered something like the Behringer 2600 (their replica of the Arp 2600).

All sound sculpting is via sliders (patch cables further increase the possibilities) and there’s no menu diving at all. I would guess sliders would be easier on someone with tendon issues, but don’t have any direct experience.

Behringer just announced very significant price drops on much of their gear and this can be had for less than $500.

One short coming might be size – it’s a big square, but it does take up less space left-right then something with a keyboard. Can be rack mounted or put on a (beefy) laptop stand depending on what is the most ergonomic and comfortable for you.

3 Likes

I’ve owned all three of the synths you are thinking about, and my favorite, and the one I still have, is the Norand Mono. I think it sounds great and is fun to use. I am testing out the knob resistance right now. It is smooth with with some resistance, but does not feel overly stiff. A little stiffer than my Digitakt encoders, and about the same stiffness as my Korg Monologue, which is also a fun synth.

2 Likes

Maybe a stupid or pain inducing question, but is it possible to lubricate potentiometers for faster action? I suppose that could mess with resale, but ive had some nice used modules that appeared to have this done, as the knob action was way quicker than others from the same brand.

1 Like

I’ve been dealing with some carpal tunnel problems for a few years now but they are improving slowly.

One thing I simple love about the Typhon is that I can use it hand-held and manipulate most of the controls with just my thumbs… Like a switch or steam-deck etc. I can do this for hours with no discomfort or side effects.

Whereas an hour or so of dedicated tweaking on my Mopho-SE (closest to Pro3 in my kit) can cause issues for me. I think it is the pinching of the knobs coupled with holding tension in my wrists that aggravates the situation… similar to how crap ergonomics with my laptop years ago got me to where I am today.

1 Like

I actually hadn’t! Definitely something to look into. My concern would be patch memory (which I greatly prefer), but sliders are way easier on my arms.

If other Korg devices I’ve actually used (Minilogue and op6) are anything to go by as a comparison that sounds like a perfect amount of resistance on the Norand Mono.

This hadn’t even crossed my mind. I’d be hesitant to do so precisely because of resale, but if I never settle on something that might not be a bad idea to look into if possible.

This is exactly it for me as well. Knowing the knobs are easy to move without pinching is very helpful actually.

1 Like

If the price ever drops, just maybe! It’s gorgeous and sounds incredible.

1 Like

Is easier for you to work with sliders?