Moog Demo Library series and docs are awesome!

I’ve been going through the Moog Demo Library video series for the Subharmonicon, DFAM, and Mother 32 (see links at https://www.youtube.com/@MoogMusicInc/playlists) and I have to say I’m super impressed by the quality and utility of these videos. These are great educational tools for the particular instruments but also sources of inspiration and new ideas.

The written documentation that Moog is producing these days, including manuals and patchbook and how-tos, is also first rate. Furthermore, there seem to be similar video libraries and quality written docs for all of their recent instruments.

From my perspective this is a great way to build an engaged, devoted, and knowledgeable user community. This material is not just more flashy “buy me” videos but useful content that will help musicians use their Moog gear better, and make them better synthesists in general.

I hope other manufacturers are taking note of the awesome job Moog is doing in this area!

12 Likes

I’ve not seen the Moog ones but Korg also have some of this kind of content too, for example:

But yeah, very nice to see this kind of video rather than just sales pitch stuff.

2 Likes

Yamaha and Roland have also made tutorial videos for some of their gear
There are 100 short video tips for the Montage/MODX alone.

1 Like

I know this isn’t exactly what you’re talking about, but I’m sharing anyway because it’s a rager: yamaha qy300 full tutorial - YouTube

1 Like

YAM - AHA! :notes:

1 Like

In a semi related notion, I just discovered that Roland has a manual archive. It’s really interesting to go back in time and read the manuals of classic units like the Tb-303. Funny because you really get the sense that they thought they truly had a machine that would revolutionize bass playing, and put bass players out of work. I guess in a way they ki d of did.

I agree. I especially love the suggestions included in manuals, like “hey, try doing this and notice what happens”. It’s a way of learning that really appeals to me, and it makes me excited to try more of their instruments.