Moog Grandmother

Had someone offer me their grandmother for my AK :face_with_monocle:
I really miss my mother -32, and it would be nice to switch things up.
But the AK is so versatile
Halp

How much of the functionality of the AK do you actually use? As you know, AK is four mono synths with decent sequencing and fx all in one box. GM is one mono synth with a basic sequencer, but the immediacy and the tone is sensational.

I had an A4 and a M32, both very capable machines. Now have GM and a DFAM (amongst others). I LOVE the GM. I can get much more out of it than I ever did with the A4, but I like simple interfaces.

If I trade gear, the GM would be one of the last to go.

2 Likes

Seen these?

3 Likes

Yes! I might get those for my DFAMs, but I just wish we could get a GM in that size! Thanks for sharing anyways, I am sure a bunch of M32/DFAM peeps are in here lurking anyways :upside_down_face:

I really like one knob per function. It feels a lot better to me. More performable
I think I have to think about this when my brain isnā€™t fried from work. :crazy_face:
Iā€™d probably sequence with my Digitakt.
I could always buy anothe AK, some people are selling them for reaaaal cheap

1 Like

I could use your help.

A used GM showed up locally and I can trade my Behringer Model D + cash for it.

I had no intention of getting one but itā€™s very rare for my small town to have gear like this on sale so Iā€™m strongly considering it. Iā€™ve been watching GM videos today and Iā€™m liking what Iā€™m hearing (and seeing)

Should I do it?

Iā€™m biased but YES

1 Like

Separate in your mind that itā€™s rare in your town ā€“ that is not relevant to you deciding if this synth is right for you. Examine things relevant to this exchange. How often do you use the Model D? Do you like it? Are you a keyboard player? Does the GM fit with your other equipment? What is your current financial situation? Will you miss the money this will cost you?
Ask yorself these sorts of questions.

Myself living in a smaller town though, i would be interested in meeting anyone that has this sort of taste. I might want to meet this person and have a chat and make friends. (I guess you can still do that and be socially distant?)

2 Likes

just like your real Grandmother, this one will not disappoint you.

2 Likes

I have a Matriarch and a Model D. I would swap that Model D anytime for a GM and some cash, after experiencing the immediacy of Matriarch. If GM is only a little close to that (which i believe it is) go for it!!! you will definitely not regret itā€¦

2 Likes

I only own the Grandmother, but did look into the Matriarch when it was released. To me it seems that they are very similar machines that offer a lot of the same options - the main difference being:

Matriarch (Para) = 4 Osc, 1 Mod, 2x Env + Stereo Delay
Grandmother (Mono) = 2 Osc, 1 Mod, 1x Env + Spring Reverb

The Matriarch does offer more in the long run of course. it has more waveforms available, more utilities, more patching options, etc. Just more everything, but part of that is there are more things to play with each other. Now if I had the Matriarch, I would have no need for the Grandmother since the M can cover the same sonic territory, and a delay is more useful to me than the spring reverb. Also I donā€™t play live so I will never need both at the same time. But I would love to have them both anyways. One more thing to note on the Grandmother - you can open up the inside and put a bigger tank in it, or any different type of effect really. It just uses an 1/8" stereo plug to go out to the tank and back, so in theory one could do some modding and put a plug on the back and be able to swap FX anytime. The reverb knob then acts as a wet/dry for it. On the Matriarch, since it has a delay which is way more complicated than a simple reverb loop, I donā€™t imagine this mod could be made. Someone who has the M - can confirm or deny this (please/thanks).

At the end of the day, you canā€™t go wrong choosing one or the other or both of these machines!, and you will not be disappointed by your decisionā€¦ Enjoy! #MOOGLIFE

1 Like

the grandmother only has two oscillators to the matriarchā€™s 4, and donā€™t forget the double filter on the matriarch, with multiple modes, series/parallel modes, etc

1 Like

fixed that typo.

Have any Grandmother owners dealt with noisy pots or any components that have needed repair? I tried one in a store years ago and have had my eye on it ever since, but Iā€™ve read some troubling stuff online.

Mine did develop a scratchy cutoff-knob rescently. Iā€™ve managed to massage it away, but I suspect that itā€™ll be back at some point. Have had it for close to three years, medium usage. If it returns, Iā€™ll ask Thomann to get it fixed, if still under warranty. Else Iā€™ll ask somebody professional to have a look.

I understand your concern, but to me, itā€™s worth it. Itā€™s a great synth.

2 Likes

I had a scratchy filter cutoff too. Got it repaired under a warrantly, but after a month or two, problem came back. Not as bad as it used to be, but still, the pot quality (eh eh) should be better.

Havent heard complains from Matriarch and I am not sure are they using the same components. But all this (and i had problems with DFAM too) but me on a fence of buying a Matriarch.

Edit: but i am still loving the Grandmother. It is a lovely sounding synth!

2 Likes

usually the people with issues are more vocal than those without them. so it may be some of that factoring in.

personally I had a GM where part of the reverb tank was separated from the chassis. I had to send it back for repair. Moog covered it all though. I heard this issue was fairly common early on, so I think they redesigned the way itā€™s attached. likely they were coming off from shipment abuse more than anything.

3 Likes

As well as the new Grandmother Dark Series announced today, thereā€™s a new firmware update that adds the much-requested multi-trig envelope behaviour:

I thought theyā€™d never add it!

6 Likes

I just had the scare of my life with the spring reverb malfunctioning, I literally slapped the side of the GM and it went back to normal. This is completely on me though because when I first got it there was a crack on the body that I didnt notice until maybe 4 months after I bought it. But the reverb tank coming loose isnt something youd expect from a 1k synth.

Seems like the 1.1 firmware had some bugs; Moog have now released a new 1.1.1 firmware which you can grab at the Moog website:
https://api.moogmusic.com/sites/default/files/2020-09/Grandmother_Firmware_v1_1_1.zip

2 Likes