Moog Grandmother

Anyone in possession of both a Grandmother and a Boomstar4075? I’ve checked out the Boomstar4075 and it sounds so good to my ears, thick arpeggios. No CV patching, sequencer or keybed but man does it sound fat… and has 2 envelopes.

Anyone seeing a major drawback in Boomstar4075 compared to GM, feature-wise. The sound, I definitely like the raw tone.

A4 is awesome. so is the Grandmother. if you have the funds for a new GM, it won’t be too much to stretch a bit further, I’d assume. so it’s possible then to get used GM and A4 mk1. both are going for excellent prices these days (the GM price is because of the Matriarch coming). that’s if you want both.

otherwise, I’d agree with what others have said here. both are excelllent. GM is better for just straight, easy juicy analog bass BUT also sound diving. and the sound diving is more immediate and engaging than in the A4 (to me). the A4 is very deep and there’s a TON you can do with it. and honestly, for an electro sound, depending on what else you have, it’s hard to go wrong with it.

I got a Digitakt that I love, and recently DFAM and Grandmother joined the crew. I thought it would be a breeze to sync them all up, but I’m having hella issues with the clock out of the GM. The Digitakt and Grandmother play nice together via midi, but when I patch the clock out of the GM into the DFAM, most of the time the DFAM sequencer won’t even advance. Occasionally I have been able to get it working, but even then the sync has been poor and drifts off beat slightly after a short while.

I’ve updated to the most recent firmware, and enabled Output clock all the time in the new global setting. When I run the midi from DT > GM and into a Korg NTS-1, and from there sync out into adv clock on the DFAM, they sync up just fine. I’ve trawled the internet for answers, but for some reason no one else has reported having issues with this. It’s so bloody annoying having to use the little Korg to provide reliable sync between the GM and DFAM. What am I doing wrong here?

In my setup, which is just: Digitakt—>Grandmother—>FX, I use the THRU midi port on the Grandmother to send clock to the next device. Hope that helps.

1 Like

I wish they would make a GM without the keys (sigh)…

Cheers!

I watched the latest Perfect Circuit video today and they were talking about this very issue. Apparently you can send clock out directly from your DT’s thru midi out. You only need to convert it to dyn24 or dyn48 in your midi port settings. That way you can send midi to your Granny and clock to your DFAM.

1 Like

I didn’t realize the DFAM doesn’t accept regular MIDI so my solution won’t work, but it looks like Genoart has you covered!

1 Like

Thanks! This seems like a good workaround, I’ll probably give this a go.

Still, it bothers me that a cheap little Korg clocks the DFAM much tighter than Moog’s own products, especially when they elected to not include midi on it. In that case you’d think at least they would make sure their analog clock was solid…

Bitching aside - the Grandmother sounds beautiful.

2 Likes

This must be a oversight from Moog. How hard can it be to get it right? It’s just an analog pulse, how can it drift? Maybe because the signal is too weak? Either way it’s better to have the DT send clock direct and avoid the daisy chain.

nah, they just want you to buy a Mother32 to sync the DFAM. works perfectly. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Right, how hard could it be? Anyway, I’ve ordered the dinsync adapter cable, and pray that it will work. Thanks for letting me know about it! Strange how little info I could find about this problem online though. Either I’m an idiot or nobody’s trying to make techno with the Grandma & DFAM. I guess the M32 & DFAM is the go-to combo. Can’t help it though, I find the M32 very boring and unattractive for some reason, especially considering the GM is only a couple hundred more on the used market.

As a Dfam owner I would rather have the Granny as well. Wish there was a desktop version.

1 Like

Desktop version is the dream. Or something the size of the DFAM/M32 with the same colors as the GM. That would be so cool…

1 Like

The keys are nice but I have absolutely no space in my studio. Even if it’s a smaller keyboard.

1 Like

I’m really fond of the keys actually! Not that I could play them well if my life depended on it, but it makes it easier to dial in basslines and melodies, also when using it as a controller for Digitakt. But yes, it isn’t a small synthesizer… I’ve found a pretty nice spot for it though.

9 Likes

beautiful corner
was thinking about swapping the mother for a grandmother but I‘m also rare on space

2 Likes

With the presentation being as if they are replaceable modules, it’s perfectly reasonable for a dream to be that they actually are. These and the modules in the Matriarch too.

I’ve thought about that at times as well, what Eurorack modules would you put together (and normalize) to be authentic to the Grandmother?

I start with the keyboard part being the Waldorf kb37.

1 Like

According to this article, it says most of the components are all based on actual Moog devices…

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/moog-grandmother

Oscillators - MiniMoog Voyager
Mixer - Moog CP3
Filter - Moog 904a
VCA - Moog 902
Reverb - Moog 905
ADSR - Moog 911

6 Likes

Thanks for that, that’s very helpful !
It also is a how-to for a Grandmother sort of thing, without a keyboard, as JohntheSavage wished for up thread.

I suppose this, or something like it could be tested with a VCV Rack sort of thing, and sketched up with modulargrid.net .

hahaha I guess that depends on your definition of small and probably more so the amount of space you have available. to me it’s pretty darn small.

this thread is making me want one again. anyone want to trade their GM for a M32 and possibly a DFAM…?