Moog Grandmother

Hmmm. Well a M32 is only 32 steps, and you have to manually trig new pages. Plus it’s a weird workflow.

But she sounds freakin great.

It’s a tough sell, and if adding things slows you down, maybe stick with just the Hrandmother and the 404 for now. I think you can get some great results with that.

You can also patch in external sound to the GMA spring reverb. And I think only one reverb is recommended at the end of the chain to keep it less muddied.

BUT. it’s super hard (that’s what she said ) to read Patch and Tweak and not want to expand out. And a DFAM and a Mother are both fantastic.

DFAM is a bit tougher to dial in specific tones with the tiny pitch knobs. But I run it through a tuner in my daw if I need to. And it’s only 8 steps.

I actually have two of them. One for drum hits and the other for Bassline.

Then I run the Mother as an arp usually, and finally the Subharmonicon is usually my melody.

GMA for live play expressiveness.

1 Like

Yeah, it helps that that Model 15 isn’t out and nobody knows when it will be released. Haha. That’s actually another “pro” for me, as waiting for it forces me not to buy anything else to add with the Grandmother and use what I have, which is GREAT!

I‘ve sort of gone down the rabbit hole on synths lately for curiosity’s sake, and I have come to realize that aside from the Grandmother, very little interests me or would be possible size wise in my setup. The only synths that really tick all the boxes for me are the Prophets 5 and 6, and that’s some serious money. I’ve messed around with guitars for like 30 years and with samplers for 20+ years and wouldn’t dream of spending that amount on a guitar or sampler, so quite hard to justify something like that for someone whose main thing is not synths. I guess that’s the beauty of VSTs and samplers for things in that price range.

At the end of the day though, I’m just happy I found the Grandmother.

Yeah, I had a long look at the M32 and DFAM and had to stop myself from buying something in moments of weakness (busy at work so stress is high). I finally realized that neither of those is really a great fit for me, even though they are very cool. I could see myself buying a DFAM and then realizing I don’t really make music that fits it.

Heh. I am not a strong man.

1 Like

Haha. I totally get the temptation. I played a Prophet 5 and 6 on my lunch break the other day, just to hear them in person. Both sounded amazing to me. I’m not a fan of the P5 keyboard version, as it’s just too big for my space, but the P6 keyboard version is just about as perfect as it gets for me. Just a work of art, IMO, and I thought it held up pretty good next to the P5!

They sell for like $6,500 here in Japan now though (if you assume a normal forex rate), so that ain’t happening. If the exchange rate was good and they were closer to $3,500, I would probably cave.

To be honest, I think I got the last good deal on a (non-Behringer) synth here with this Grandmother Dark edition. Everything is sky high now, and Japan is trying to pretend that inflation isn’t a thing. My gear buying might be pretty limited for a while, but that’s actually not a bad thing. I’ve got plenty to keep me busy for a long time. Time to start practicing and recording.

Yeah, but Roland and Korg should be cheaper in Japan tho, right?

I haven’t looked too much at Korg and Roland stuff enough to know how prices have fluctuated, but Yamaha hiked their prices for some stuff during the chip shortage. The Reface series, which I like, went from 38,000 yen to 55,000 yen, which is like going from $380 to $550. Pretty steep jump (45%, right?). The only thing I’ve looked at from Korg is the ARP2600M and it’s not cheap, at around $2,000. I think those manufacturers tend to set prices at what they are selling for overseas to avoid creating a grey market, where people buy here cheap and sell overseas.

Meanwhile the distributors here tack on more to the overseas prices before selling to people in Japan. Sometimes it’s insane (2x), and those dealers won’t accept warranty service for stuff not bought in Japan in most cases.

The universe seemed to throw everything at me to prevent me from getting the Space Brain to work. The power adapter I bought to use it didn’t work, my old Arturia Keystep finally kicked the bucket, the newer model Grandmothers (newer firmware?) have a quirk when it comes to disabling local mode (likely something specific to this device), and I had all sorts of issues getting the three oscillators all tuned up tightly enough to get a good sound in the three-voice poly mode.

Anyway, I nearly chalked this up to a failed experiment and waste of money, but I messaged Austin over at Space Brain Circuits and he assured me it would work well, and gave me some tips. His customer service is incredible, so after a short nap and a walk with my dog, I decided I’d give it another go, and sure enough, it works like a champ.

Here’s my 2 cents and advice for anyone thinking about getting one of these.

Getting the three oscillators perfectly in tune proved tricker than I thought. I have no problem doing it normally on the Grandmother, but maybe you have more leeway if stacking for unison use. Anyway, don’t waste a lot of time like I did, just use a tuner and it’s a piece of cake to get them all perfectly tuned up (I used the one in Logic).

If you run into an issue where you seem to only be able to play in either a very low or very high register after you connect the device, it’s an easy fix. You have to hit a C note of the lowest octave you want to use before disabling local mode, and that fixes it. Apparently, that didn’t used to be the case. Something changed, and if you don’t know about that bug, you’ll think the device is pretty useless.

And my biggest piece of advice, if you are going to try this, don’t go in with too many set ideas about what three-note paraphony is going to be like. I had all of these ideas about how I was going to use it, and that all went out the window because having only three notes and one envelope really forces you to play a certain way. Also, you are using up a ton of patch points and modules just to set this up, so you will be limited in what all else you can do (no modulation, etc). I wouldn’t dream of trying to sequence it, although perhaps you could.

All of that might make it sounds like it sucks, but it’s actually pretty damn great when you get it set up. The beauty of the Grandmother is that it’s a really pretty sounding synth (unlike say something like a Korg MS20, which is awesome but harsh and nasally). Because you have to adapt to the playing style dictated by the device and the way that notes get cut off or trigger faintly because of the one envelope, it turns the Grandmother into this really quirky, amazing sounding instrument. It’s got this really vintage kind of vibe to it, and more than a synth, it feels like some kind of one-off weird old keyboard you’d find in Keyscape or something. Since I already had it plugged into my audio interface to tune it in Logic, I threw on some Valhalla delay and basically just got lost playing it for an hour or two.

Anway, I’m glad I didn’t give up. I think this will be another fun way to use the Grandmother.

2 Likes

Sounds like you need a matriarch

1 Like

Nah, the GMa is perfect for my space. Really loving it. I can see its appeal though.

2 Likes

Curious how many of you are using the multi trig envelope mode. I just enabled it, but can’t decide which mode is a better fit for me. Leaning towards the regular mode, it feels right for some reason.

I also haven’t experimented with the different glide mode.

1 Like

A couple of tips I saw over at GS to get your Grandmother to sound similar to SH101 and ARP2600 bass sounds (credit to Sean Costello). Thought I’d share here.

5 Likes

Great tips! Will try later tonight!

1 Like

I keep it to default, with a long release.

The way I understand it, is that it fires like when in kbd rls mode, but gives you back sustain.

The different modes are so subtle that I forget what setting I have chosen, or how they are used.

What I’m trying to figure out is how to make a kick from the GMA that’s similar to M32.

1 Like

First track with my Sequential Take 5 and Grandmother.

I’ve been really digging Panos Cosmatos lately and this is sort of inspired by his stuff. The Grandmother is handling the low end and softer melody. The Take 5 is delivering the early 80s retro sci-fi vibe in the upper register. Really loving this combination.

(Sorry for the triple post everybody. I haven’t been recording much lately so feels good to get something done).

17 Likes

Sounds great!

1 Like

Thanks, man. Much appreciated!

1 Like

That is REALLY cool!!!

Awesome!

1 Like

@DimensionsTomorrow oh yeah, so good and grimy! Big fan of Beyond The Black Rainbow myself…

1 Like

@Kuro @spikysimon

Thanks! Yeah, I love Beyond the Black Rainbow. I didn’t see it until fairly recently and it totally blew me away.

I saw this quote about the soundtrack on YouTube and it really resonated with me, and completely sums up the vibe I’m on at the moment.

1 Like