Moog Grandmother

anton newcombe has been using a grandmother for his latest recording project, which is pretty awesome

1 Like

this totally rules, you should be proud of your work.

do you mind disclosing what external effects you used?

1 Like

Thanks very much! I appreciate the kind words.

Off the top of my head, I recall using a few instances of RC-20 Retro Color, Valhalla Retroverb and Delay, and u-he Satin and Seventh Heaven on the master bus to get things to gel a bit more. I also used the stock Logic compressor and EQ, and I used Trackspacer on the drums to help it stand out from one of the Moog Grandmother tracks.

Those are pretty much my go to plugins whenever Iā€™m doing anything in Logic.

2 Likes

Synced PWM and LFO to a couple DFAMs and an Analog Heat

2 Likes

i was trying out some patches with the grandmother and sampling them for the first time with the digitakt and noticed that the auto-normalization of the sampling process animates the higher frequencies with a character-altering sizzle that i actually appreciate. the samples have like a surreal ultra-crisp/processed ai-conceived idea of what vintage analog sounds like.

the difference in oscillator levels are also highlighted by this process- it shines a strange new light on the cp3 mixer. weird stuff.

2 Likes

How long have these been $1249? Last I remember it was $1149 and that was a price hike.

I want to say the better part of the past year?

I know there was the price hike at the end of 2021, thatā€™s what got me to jump on the matriarch before it went up. Iā€™m happy I bought my GMA when it was $899 out the door.

1 Like

you can usually get the dark ones on sale for $999 (which is about how much the grandmother was when it first came out).

Has anyone here managed to get the latest grandmother firmware 1.1.3 running?
Just received my lovely GM yesterday - second hand, with I donā€™t know what fw - and wanted to check here before daring to upgrade - Iā€™ve heard of both problems installing it and bugs when running it.
Cheers.

1 Like

I have the latest FW. It has a lot of improvements with the clock sync and arpeggios.

I think there are some bugs, but I donā€™t usually get to crazy changing up from defaults in global settings. So Iā€™m not aware of anything out of the ordinary.

But if youā€™re unsure, I would call Moogā€™s technical support.

They are great and will walk you through the whole process. Including the button presses to figure out your current FW. Itā€™s obscure, and you have to count the blinks on one of the red buttons.

I think it took a couple tries to get my FW to take. Make sure you wave a midi to usb cable.

1 Like

Just popping back around to say how good this track is, and would love an expanded version.

Wait. Didnā€™t you say you were making an album? Or was that someone else?

5 Likes

Iā€™ll second that. Good sounds, good composition, good mixā€¦

Cheers!

2 Likes

@BLKrbbt, @JohntheSavage

Much appreciated!. It was nice to wake up and read the kind words.

I do actually have a related concept album entirely planned out, with really extensive track notes (down to track names, musical keys, instrumentation, etc). This encouragement really helps to be honest as I keep psyching myself out and pushing the project aside.

3 Likes

I buy the shit out of that on a Bandcamp Friday. Add stems and Iā€™ll sample the shit out of it.

1 Like

Man, the tone of the Grandmother is just so pleasing. Unlike any synth Iā€™ve owned before. Today I just left it on in the background playing the three octave random arpeggiator, and itā€™s so meditative. Reminds me of Mort Garsonā€™s Plantasia or something.

Which makes me curious, do you have any effects you have permanently paired with your Grandmother? I never had a permanent effects chain going until I got my synth stand, but recently Iā€™ve paired the Grandmother with a Strymon Deco and Volante. I tried a reverb in the chain, but decided the delay is good enough for regular use. Iā€™m running my Take 5 through a Vermona Retroverb Lancet (and the Volante as well via a mixer) and thatā€™s a great combo too. I need to try a phaser in the chain as well and see how I like it.

4 Likes

It really loves delay.

2 Likes

Itā€™s weird, but I got a Matriarch and and a Grandmother.

Since they share alot of design, I never really go outside the effects of what they have. GMA for reverb. Matriarch for delays.

But if I need that sound super processed, the Subharmonicon and Mother32 fill that gap.

I would always run them through Valhalla or Soundtoys. Then Moog released the MoogerFooger vstā€™s. I love the murf.

I also have a real Moog 103 phaser. Itā€™s crazy how good that sounds. Now I love running GMA through that because itā€™s better for me to have a mono synth sound to really drive the effect.

The matriarch can actually be patched with its LFO on one of the tuning or detune parameters along with its delay to get an effect thatā€™s very phaser like. I donā€™t know which exactly. It just takes me noodling with a couple cables to find it.

So phaser in that effect chain is great!

2 Likes

Whelp.

Just to follow up. My dumb ass just bought ANOTHER monosynth.

As much as I like throwing some Analog Heat onto the GMA, I pulled the trigger on something truly evil.

PWM Malevolent.

2 Likes

Nice! I should have bought some of those when they were readily available back in the day. I have a few vintage Japanese phasers from the 1970s and a nice Maestro clone. I mostly use them for guitar though. I have the B. bi-phase clone on the way later this month, so Iā€™ll see if I like it more on guitar or the Gma.

1 Like

Id love to hear it when you are up and runningā€¦ Let me know when you use it on a track!

1 Like