Moog Mavis

This looks cool, but if you have a Grandmother or Matriarch it seems redundant apart from that wave folder.

Then again, this+OP-Z+battery seems pretty killer. Especially as you can probably use the LFO and filter as extra oscillators and so some dirty FM.

5 Likes

and a full ADSR!?!?! :exploding_head:

is this the same dimensions as the 0-Coast/0-Ctrl/Strega? I couldnā€™t find dimensions on the website or in the manual. maybe they rang up their buddies across town and said ā€œcool if we use the same format bro?ā€ I like that unlike MN though, theirs is designed to optionally be euro-rackable.

anyway, looks like a fun little synth to get you into synthesis or modular world. or even just a cheap add-on for a Grandmother or similar, to get another LFO/VCO/envelope, plus a few more goodies. and now that I mention it, it would pair great with the ARP 2600m actuallyā€¦ :thinking:

2 Likes

Itā€™s 3U 44 HP if you can work it out from that?

1 Like

good point!

one HP = 5.08mm so itā€™s 223.52mm

Iā€™m measuringing 22.5mm for the 0-ctrl panel. soā€¦ itā€™s very close. the box might be the same outside dimensions. theirs look a bit thicker than the MN version.

1 Like

I really like itā€™s sound, but since I donā€™t have any other modular gear it doesnā€™t fit my setup. If I had ta keystep I probably would have ordered oneā€¦

Check out Sarah belle Reid s video:

At around min 24:00 sheā€™s using Mavis and 0 Ctrl together.

7 Likes

I think it sounds nice, but the missing cv inputs for the folder are somethingā€¦

1 Like

This thing is BAD ASS!
This may be the next synth I end up getting

Itā€™s technically 44hp, so plus a 60hp Mother series = 104ā€¦ and they just happen to already have 104 cases that work with their tiered stands. So I guess thatā€™s why the jack field is on the opposite side :thinking:

4 Likes

The jam at the end with the dfam is brilliantā€¦ defo thinking about getting this to add to the dfam now :slight_smile:

1 Like

theyā€™re so cute together! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Yea Iā€™d seen that the usual YouTube salesmen had been given their demo units.

Its not just that they dont have caps, theyā€™re trimmer pots, so cheap and wobbly too!

I donā€™t really get it personally - there are better synths out there for your money imo.

2 Likes

Imo it wouldā€™ve been far nicer if they stayed with 60HP and made it look good. Moog doesnā€™t need to be the cheapest. Uli is gonna copy this anyway at 1/4 of the price. It might even get better knobs.

1 Like

Easy enough to retrofit knobs, like the Thonk Werkstatt/DFAM kits. They obviously built this to a price pointā€¦ but if it sounds good and does something unique in the Moog universe, then who cares.

2 Likes

the DFAM ones are pretty damn solid. so if comparable, theyā€™ll be fine. also Volca ones have been fine. not incredible, of course. but sufficient.

Yea I mean theyā€™re serviceable, I dunno maybe itā€™s just not for me. Watching the performances it just looks fiddly to me.

I think this is the only sensible explanation for this release, and about the only reason to get one that Iā€™ve seen/heard so far. (And even then, one could probably do better with non-Moog-branded options for that space and price.)

3 Likes

I care haha

But yea the case looks pretty cheap too. Iā€™m not sure theres much point in cheap Moogs. Any more than premium Behringers.

I think I said it upthread so sorry for repeating myself but a Moog is about more than itā€™s circuits. This is no better than a cheap ladder clone IMO.

Iā€™m in a bad mood though I sold a car I love today so I think Iā€™m just in cynic mode :joy:

2 Likes

Fair enough :slight_smile: