Moog Mavis

People will buy it and love it and make music that will make me jealous so really it’s all irrelevant haha

I’ll rejoin the ‘lets be excited about wavefolding’ crew. I’d like to see some of these ideas in a 60hp unit tbh - it’s a bit surprising they didn’t do a westcoast unit for the soundstudio.

1 Like

A little more footage of Mavis + other desktop Moog action

1 Like

This video shows the big advantage to matching the left side patch bay on Mavis with the M32, DFAM, or SubH.

5 Likes

If I ever explore a rig outside of my current set up, I’m definitely considering the M32, DFAM, & Subharmonicon with 3x Mavis on the right

2 Likes

That would make a mean looking Sound Studio 3 Plus, with a stripe of patch cables down the middle.

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking!
Get one of those 3 tier stands, beautiful

1 Like

Looks nice. Debating between this or one of the new cre8audio semi modulars

Anyone got a preference on which they’d prefer? Cre8audio seems a lot of synth for the price

1 Like

Boring, another mono synth… always the same sound

Not interested

Another mono synth

You already have a Moog One in your studio?

Always the same sound

This is the first Moog with a wave folder. It’s clear it can sound different.

The small knobs, the plastic casing, the limited amount of patch points, the price. I mean if you’re gonna complain at least make it count.

8 Likes

It’s all based on a few demos so far; almost no one has had hands-on experience with any of these. Each of them is lacking in various respects. But the Cre8audio / Pittsburgh Modular devices look more promising to me.

5 Likes

most of his jams are great. Looking forward to watching this

2 Likes

East Beast - I don’t have a use for this.

West Pest - Has potential as I don’t have a West Coast synth. Has sequencer

Mavis - No sequencer, no CV in for wave folder, but more patch points than West Pest

For me it depends on what I decide I want to add to my setup. Mavis has attenuators and other utilities that might be useful.

If both Cr8audio semi-modulars appeal to you, have a look at 0-Coast, which combines East and West Coast designs into one module, but you do give up some stuff if you choose that, like less total oscillators and stuff.

3 Likes

I’ve gave up deciding and ordered a pams and frap tools 321 to add to my small modular instead

Will wait few months and check videos that aren’t from influencers when normal people get them. Maybe get one for Christmas :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about Mavis as compared with West Pest and 0-coast, too, and don’t own anything comparable.

It seems like another point of comparison is that West Pest and 0-Coast work with Dynamics sections and Low Pass Gates? And can both I think modulate fold? Mavis, while the demos make it sound very flexible and powerful, seems not to move this far “west”?

I’d be very curious to know what difference these things make in practice, and if there are other significant differences besides those mentioned (sequencer, MIDI is a big one for me)…

…without fold, it would be nothing but another analog mono voice with a good name…

it’s diy, right?..mayyybee it’s cheap enough then, to really make a difference out there in the crowded sonic jungle…

good luck…

1 Like

Does it teach typing?

1 Like

You can paste “asdfghj” on the keys for that computer-keyboard experience

1 Like

For all those who didn’t know what I was referencing :wink:

3 Likes

It’s £350* and not really DIY, you just screw the faceplate on. It’s a bit of an odd aspect to it IMO - maybe the faceplate-attachers are on strike this month.

* At Thomann, so probably a bit more elsewhere

I do like peoples suggestions of using it as a paired voice for a 60hp module - with the Sub and DFAM especially I see lots of creative potential, less so with the M32. But I still can’t escape the fact you could buy 1 or 2 normal Eurorack modules and be better off in almost every way… it would look cool though, and the ergnomics of the central patchbay would be fun.

I don’t think it was intended to break new synthesis grounds. sounds like you’re outside the target market. which… good for you :+1: