Moog Mavis

No I have a PM Microvolt 3900

Also the West Pest is more interesting than the Mavis from a spec perspective

I have a Microvolt 3900

…not sure what you’re getting at…

…so, it’s NOT cheap…it’s just another classic moog, end of the day…in price, in style and sound…

there’s a lot of battle factor in this segment…and no moog adds fold now can help the fact that the west pest is almost half that price tag with way more good sonic arguments…

mavis won’t help moog out of the valley, i’m afraid…
another chapter in the “behind the peak of hw synth success story”…and it’s coming to an end…slowly but surely…mass appeal has moved on and won’t look back for quite a while…

1 Like

It’s actually the YouTube promotion algorithm problem. Oscillator Sink explained in another thread here that he has reluctantly started making goofy-face thumbnails (he doesn’t put his face in his videos) because it increases the chances that a video is offered to a viewer.

3 Likes

I more meant the fact that these personalities are now just promoting hardware on a regular basis - it’s ‘infotainment’ at best, pure advertising at worst. It’s the pre-release stuff that seems to be an issue - general previews or reviews certainly aren’t a problem.

3 Likes

I’m not disagreeing with any of your points @natehorn, but I think you’re mostly just coming to terms with the reality of what this stuff is. It’s like when people realized, “Hey wait a minute, Facebook isn’t just a platform to help us connect with our friends, this whole thing is an advertising scheme!”

Again, you’re not wrong, but I would be careful pointing the blame at the creators rather than the system at large (or, more conveniently, at ourselves for being responsible consumers of content).

Look at this through Andrew Huang’s lens — this is his job, this is his brand/company that he’s running and so yeah he’s gotta pump those clicks and get attention to stay in business. I work in advertising as well, I market stuff that’s way less cool than synths but hey, it’s a living.

Anyway, just throwing 2 cents out there, not disagreeing with anything you’re saying or the sentiment — just wanna go easy on the actual creator guys. They’re just working hacks like the rest of us.

2 Likes

I dunno I’ll happily blame the game and the player :slight_smile:

nooo

3 Likes

Capitalism’s a bitch.

Mehvis.

5 Likes

You even gets ads before you watch the ad - it’s capitalism all the way down!

1 Like

No, we don’t.

Bashing individuals usually ends up getting flagged or otherwise moderated.

1 Like

Plus, it’s only a problem until you realize it’s a problem. Then it’s no longer a problem.

1 Like

Well… that is true, I concede (although not ‘bashing’ any individuals)

Maybe if Moog sent me some free instruments I could make my own ad and shutup about it

1 Like

I’m thinking of what happened on one of the Syntakt threads.

It got to where nobody could post anybody’s Syntakt video without getting attacked.

At the very least it should be a seperate thread, don’t want to derail things for the Mavis folks.

Apologies for the interuption, continue your wavefolding.

1 Like

Of course reviewers get stuff free. I used to write gadget reviews for a living. Sometimes I’d send the review units back, sometimes I’d keep them, or give them away to friends.

Once in a while I would buy it at a discount from the sender.

If you have to buy the gear to test it, it severely limits what you can test. And the idea that paying for an item makes you more objective about it makes zero sense.

The opposite can also be true—the forums are full of people who love their new toys, then sell them a few weeks later when reality sets in.

I’m not saying that YouTube doesn’t have plenty of shills, though. The problem for us viewers is finding the good reviewers.

Or good demo-makers, like Loopop.

1 Like

I have similar impressions. Mavis is a step in that direction but not as far as the other two.

A consideration for me is whether I want to add more options to my Subharmonicon (Mavis) or get a synth that is more equipped for West Coast synthesis. Fortunately I need not make a decision anytime soon.

2 Likes

I think pairing it with DFAM or Subharmonicon could be pretty cool tbh - having a second voice for the Sub that can break away from the sequences a little or do other filter stuff could be interesting!

1 Like

Advertising that has other advertising embedded in it. (If you die on the fourth level, you die in real life.) They’re at least actually using the product they’re talking about (unlike, say, the average food ad).

1 Like