Moog Mavis

Sounds like it’s just not meant for many of you.
Seems like a fantastic deal to me for adding a Moog with wave folding.
I’m smitten over the way Moogs sound and all over this thing.

1 Like

(Price isn’t showing on the preview, but it’s $160 new, less used. Of course, you’ll need a small powered case, but that gives you space to add more interesting components.

1 Like

Yeah, I aint buying no modules nor an case.
I’ll just spend all my money in one spot for one device thats a one trick pony.
Thats how I like it.

1 Like

There’s something to be said for sheer convenience as well.

Yea that’s fair - I’m seeing interest for it out there. If you don’t have eurorack and you want to supliment other Moog modular it’s an appealing buy I think - with the patch bay on the left it feels very intentionally designed to pair with their stuff.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they made more in this format, maybe some chorus/bbd delay stuff and something else.

Fill up 3 of those 104hp cases as suggested up thread with a sound studio.

I just wish it cost £10 more and had pots :sweat_smile:

I’m completely unclear on what the hubbub is over the patching being on the left.
As far as I can tell all semi modulars have their own unique placement of patching :man_shrugging:
However, yeah it seems to complementary to the moogs with patching on the right, which is cool AF
I’m ambidextrous, AND never considered any synths to be right or left handed

Not sure it’s so much a hubbub it’s just less conventional, and it helps with pairing them with the other moogs. Semi modulars tend to have their patch bays on the right (like all of Moogs) - and signal chains tend to go left to right, so it’s notable - an intentional design decision.

The west pest actually doesn’t have a lpg… they are referring to the function generator when they say function generator… that was a pretty big disappointment to me but considering the price I get it…

This is not the place to discuss the West Pest, but the manual and the demos suggest that the “dynamics controller” is a modified LPG design, with more control over release time. This is actually my concern with that device, that there isn’t as much control over attack as I would like. The 0-coast has separate contour and dynamics (more traditional LPG) sections. (The 0-coast fails for me for other reasons…)

Indeed! Mavis would give my Subharmonicon a 2nd filter, its oscillators don’t always have to share the same filter anymore, as well as a 2nd envelope with ASDR stages, attenuators, a 2-in mixer, etc.

1 Like

I know it says that… I’m just saying though, I own a microvolt and I have yet to hear anything from it resembling a lpg… maybe I just haven’t heard it yet, but I don’t hear any Buchla bongos or anything from it like that. It’s just sounds like a plucky envelope to me. The microvolt can really nail that Buchla sound with it’s lpg, so they might call it that… but I can call a turd good too…

1 Like

Yeah, this is probably not drastically changed from your Microvolt.

It doesn’t sound anything like the microvolt though.

Okay, I am just not grasping what you are saying, sorry.

I buy synths for touching knobs, not for touching nipples.

3 Likes

You should get some tassels for this nipples - that would sort you out.

The Mavis has two trim pots for calibration. That’s a good thing. The trim pots have been set at manufacture, but if it goes out, you can adjust them later. It was well done too because you have access from the front panel and they even give you the tool. Plus they include instructions for setting the trim pots in the manual.

You want analog synths to have trim pots, not the other way around.

Stay away from the UltraNova.

Tassels would help me immensely, thank you ! I think teenage engineering has one

Aaah, just to be clear, I’m talking about these:

Not the actual trimmer adjustments for tuning haha you need those!

1 Like