Moog Minimoog Model D 2022

You probably heard or read this :

The Trigon-6 has all of the best qualities of Sequential’s acclaimed Prophet-6 and OB-6 synths — 6-voice polyphony, unrivaled playability, easy programmability, and modest footprint — packed into a four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch. What differentiates it from its siblings is its unmistakable “3-oscillators-through-a ladder-filter” punch. It raises the bar for what the ideal power poly can and should be.

3 Likes

or confused it with the pro 3

1 Like

This reissue inspired me to listen to some classic Minimoog-infused hip hop

6 Likes

Any shops offering discounts on the Model D?

I wish Moog would bring back the Voyager now that was a cool fat sounding synth! I’m not impressed by the Moog One.

To me this kind of gear is only for the big studios who want to appeal clients with luxurious backline.
And by studio I mean the kinds that can spend thousands only on electricity and maintenance. Not a one man operation.

But it’s always nice to dream :wink:

1 Like

in the states, you can typically get a discount from Musician’s Friend (I think 15%) if you chat with them and ask. I’m not sure this applies to pre-orders though. you’d have to chat and ask…

the One doesn’t impress me either, and actually reminds me more of the Voyager than the Model D. I had the Voyager before I got a Model D (which I no longer own, sadly) and had time to compare them before I sold the Voyager. the Model D absolutely blew the Voyager away in terms of fatness, character and charm. the Voyager had more features, but the simplicity and just “can’t make a bad sound with it” factor of the Model D is what I preferred. couldn’t play it without smiling. and even though it’s a very simple synth, there’s still a ton to explore in there, but never make it so crazy that you can’t get back to a “zero-ed out” basic patch within seconds. kind of like the ARP Odyssey, in a lot of ways. though it’s easier to make bad sounds with the Odyssey.

I had a Voyager. Very nice and comfy sound. But common criticism was that it sounded too smooth and polite compared to Model D. I think that’s one reason Moog developed drive circuits in later monosynths like the Phatty family.

The digital circuitry (which you need for MIDI and presets) for controlling the analog bits was a little ahead of its time and notorious for failing after a certain amount of time.

I’d rather get the Oberheim synth than the model d moog. A friend brought his Oberheim over and that blew me away with the rich fat sounds even bigger to my ears than Moog. That and Buchla are great synths.

1 Like

I spoke with MF and they offered 15% off but they also charge sales tax, so it’s almost an even wash. I know of one place that will do 10% off and no sales tax, so I might end up going with them. Just not sure if 10% off is enough to make me bite though.

1 Like

I went ahead and preordered mine.

6 Likes

Great choice

2 Likes

I ordered a K&M Spider stand for the Model D and a coffin case I use. In the meantime I’ve got it setup in a side room using some of my guitar cases as a makeshift stand. I also put together a little pedalboard for the D. Sounds pretty awesome.

11 Likes

Did you end up ordering from MF? I did, they recently contacted me and said shipment isn’t expected until the 27th

1 Like

I love the idea of just casually resting one piece of expensive gear on a STACK of cases for other gear, which likely costs more than said expensive item stacked upon them…

here I thought it was funny when I used a midi controller as a prop to lean a Polysix. but you got me beat! :rofl:

2 Likes

I didn’t. I first ordered from Cottonwood Music. They contacted me towards the end of December and said their preorders had been pushed back to February, so I cancelled my order with the. I was lucky enough to stumble upon one the very next day (Vintage King had just received 6 of them that day) and ordered it (even got a decent discount on it). I received it less than a week later.

BTW - The K&M Spider Pro is not compatible with the Model D. I found that out by buying one, and by being told that by K&M after the fact.

I’ve got a Jaspers stand ordered. Was running the D through this little pedalboard.

3 Likes

Mahogany color exclusive to sweetwater

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiniModelDMa--moog-minimoog-model-d-analog-synthesizer-mahogany

1 Like

K&M Omega Pro would have worked. However, with the Minimoog being tilt-able, you probably would not have been able to use the two upper tiers.

I picked up a really nice Jaspers stand shortly after getting the Model D. The Jaspers stand is awesome.

1 Like