Moog Minimoog Model D 2022

The venn diagram between modular customers and classic Moog customers is about as far apart as you can get. A bunch of modules can do more than any desktop synth. But that’s not the point.

3 Likes

Moog is currently producing the $12,000 Model 10, and rolled out reissues of even more expensive modular systems in recent years, yet here they are still in 2022.

If you can afford and want it, my opinion would be to just go ahead buy and enjoy.

2 Likes

All I’m saying is last time Moog made a polysynth they were out of business in 5 years, and the 4 years since the One was introduced have been very strange times for anyone manufacturing electronics.

But, on the other hand, I think it would be more likely for them to get bought out/acquired by a bigger fish before things got that far in the current business environment. Off the top of my head, I could see the NI/Izotope/PA conglomerate wanting a big name synth manufacturer on their team (like Focusrite has Sequential/OB/Novation) if Moog fell on hard times and needed a cash injection.

Because “complex” doesn’t mean better :wink:

Also, the “moog sound” has been used so much in the music industry that our ear recognizes it as “good”

There is no such thing as “better” in sound. You prefer “Moog” while others find the sound “boring”

4 Likes

It’s way overpriced but I did enjoy trying one out some years back. Personally rather have Elektron Rytm plus ARP2600M and Waldorf Synths to do more.

1 Like

No. For me, the Matriarch is so much more interesting. It can do FM, and you can patch in all kinds of other stuff it you want. It’s a beast.

The Minimoog is also a beauty, but I can hook the Matriarch up to my iPad and use the app. Or buy Behringer’s knockoff.

Also, the Grandmother is a great alternative, and you could buy five for true polyphony!

4 Likes

Exactly. I too think the new Minimoog is a true beauty but for that kind of money, against what they’re already selling, it just makes no sense.

2 Likes

Plenty of people will buy it for partly non-sound reasons. It’s a unique thing in synth history so all sorts of criteria apply.

I wouldn’t spend that much on one, but I would spend that much on a really spesh Rhodes, CP80, or OBX8. But I’m not saving for them because life is random, and I can make my music with alternatives that sound good enough for me.

I can see why people can get very focused on the “special” historically significant instruments, but nobody is stopping me from making music with other instruments.

1 Like

It’s a luxury item for sure. Same as with the TE stuff…

Would be cool to try one though to see what all the hubbub is about

3 Likes

Yeah. There is demand for everything.
I’m sure it sounds fantastic, but so does anything that costs 5K.

2 Likes

THB i prefer the 2016 reissue (I own one). The only thing that I don’t like too much in that version is how the pitch bend works, but 5999€ is too much for a reissue IMO

2 Likes

Well clearly Moog needs no help sailing or sinking their own ship. Seems people are interested enough in it. Not really that strange this is what there doing but I’m not doubting the poly will be their next release. Unless they really can only milk people for either a slew of cash or 350. It seems like that’s just how they do it. The Sequential trigon looks like the answer I could say I’d unexpectedly waited for.

I got taken in by the OB-6, but can’t afford it at the moment. And the Trigun has the SEM, Curtis, & 24db ladder filters. So….Moog is really milking it. I doubt people with sense are going to overlook it for a Model-D but some people just want the D.

Maybe Moog can put together a poly that is expandable like a modular but has a digital matrix to connect it all. Be like a hybrid that has a basic set of modules that are removable and they could make the panel a big rolling modular case that has slots for the Modules that you connect and then just push buttons instead of patch cables being used just push a button for one input and then the output on the module you want to connect it to and it will connect the two. Then you could spin the wheel of your front panel to another module and lock it into place when your settled on what you want in front of you.

So it will be both affordable to initially own and then impossible to look at and not get sucked into acquiring both the digital hybrid modules and their classic modules alike. It’s the perfect GAS trap.

3 Likes

6k?! :joy:

in Europe. in the states it’s $5k. which translates to 4888 euros currently. pretty crazy, really: an extra 1200 euros for VAT, shipping, etc…

love the talk of this signaling the end of Moog :rofl:

people with no sense that have ears, I guess. Trigon doesn’t sound great to me, and certainly not in the way the Model D does. but then again, I’ve tried hard to like the One and just never really heard anything great from it. but it’s still early days with the Trigon, so maybe I’ll hear something awesome that’ll change my mind. certainly doesn’t sound like a poly Moog to me though.

1 Like

This is a real beauty !
But I would prefer to have a matriarch at home than this one.

2 Likes

Trigon only has the one moog filter, just for clarification, it does not have filters from the ob6 or p6. You will need to purchase those seperatly. :yum:

1 Like

If you are thinking of buying the Trigon for that reason, you might want to check again whether this fact is true before spending your money

5 Likes

Trigon-6 Filter specs

LOW-PASS FILTER
  • Switchable two/four-pole, discrete, resonant, low-pass, ladder filter per voice
  • Filter can be driven into self-oscillation with the Resonance control
  • Bi-polar filter envelope amount
  • Velocity modulation of envelope amount
  • Keyboard tracking: off, half, full

All-New Filter and Oscillator Design

At the heart of the Trigon-6 sound are three newly designed voltage-controlled oscillators (with triangle, saw, and pulse waves) and an enhanced version of the ladder filter that Sequential created for its Pro 3 mono synth. The switchable 2/4 pole resonant filter design has dedicated drive and feedback controls that make it effortless to go from bold and crunchy to silky and smooth with a simple knob turn.

3 Likes

Yeah, I saw some promotional video they posted the day they announced it and must have misheard what they were saying about the filter. I thought they had mentioned the Oberheim filter in regards to it’s 2-pole 12db mode. I didn’t even know it had 3 full Oscillators. Now I get why someone else mentioned it doesn’t step up to the Moog One from the demo’s they heard.

I really am not looking at buying anything. I’m content w/what I have. The XD module covers more than enough ground for my taste and can stand on it’s own w/a sequencer & motion control over 4 parameters. And I’ll never run short of something to do on the ol’ OT.

I’m just gear geeking, like a bunch a dude’s arm chair coaching a sport. Just keep sporting hard, and keep synthing hard. And right meow Moog’s just not synthing hard enough.

1 Like