Moog Subharmonicon

Great to hear it’s working! I never got around to recreating it in VCV but recently bought the real one and like you said, it’s addictive!

Hi guys! Wanted to offer my two cents on the SH after using it for some time now. Hope it’s helpful for those on the fence on whether to buy it or not. Hope you find it useful. Cheers dudes!

6 Likes

hey man, love your channel.

I love my SH, had it for a couple weeks, love its happy accidents …

I find that the combination of 0-coast / Subharmonicon / Hydrasynth Desktop is the perfect mix for ambient self generative pads that ultimately get force fed to my :elot:

Not a huge modular guy, but that setup is really helping my creative lapses…

3 Likes

Enjoyed your review! If I ever get one, I’ll be sure to remember to record/sample it, if I get something nice going on it, before turning it off.

1 Like

Hi bro! I’m glad you enjoy the vids, I really enjoy making them😁.
Your setup sounds awesome! I would love to hear anything you’ve made if you’d like to share! Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you so much for watching!
Recording the sequence before turning off the SH has become second nature for me now​:sweat_smile: Someone posted a fix in the comments of my video, but I haven’t tried it yet. Thanks for the positive feedback bro! Cheers!:v:t2:

I have badly wanted a Moog DFAM, Mother-32, and Subharmonicon triple combo since the release of the Subharmonicon. It seems like such a fun setup where the limitations would lead to productive experimentation in the studio. However, for some reason, when I am in the mood to splurge on new studio equipment, the said Moog products fall off the G.A.S. radar. One of these days, I suppose.

1 Like

Haven’t played with SubH for four days which is the longest since I got it, so I ended up re-watching some YT videos on it.

Will come back to playing it tomorrow and probably start with something like this:

A lot of great things going on in this seemingly simple patch, I think. Can anyone point out what he is doing to make a sort of subtle LFO effect on the volume? Or is that just the effect from the incoming midi note? I fn suck at tech talk, sorry!

2 Likes

In one of my late night synthesizer youtube rabbit holes that I find myself spending more and more time in, I swear I came across a video of someone controlling the sequencer of the subharmonicon with a Keystep. I believe they were using the keys to change the overall key or at least root note of whatever sequence was playing. Now, I could be totally wrong here as I’m usually half asleep while watching some of these, but I was wondering if anyone here can confirm that something like this is possible, and if so, explain to me how to set it up to do so? Thanks!

You can send MIDI that will be treated as offset to what the VCO frequency knob is set to. It is explained in the manual.

I think it’s a video from Noir et Blanc.

I see that SynthAnatomy picked this as one of the best experimental hardware synths of 2020.

ASIDE: Other synths picked by SynthAnatomy for 2020
  • Eowave Quadrantid Swarm
  • Elta Music Solar 50
  • Meng Qi Wing Pinger
  • Neutral Labs Elmyra
  • Gamechanger Audio Motor Synth
  • Erica Synths SYNTRX
  • Herbs and Stones Liquid Foam
  • Vector Synthesizer 2.0

Very pleasant to hear :

4 Likes

Here’s another SubH jam from me. Probably not an overstatement that the Subharmonicon is my current favourite synth. :heart: What we have here is seven Subharmonicon loops sampled into and performed through the Octatrack.

27 Likes

very nice!

1 Like

If i want to cv control it from the mpc one - which cables would i need ? Is there something like a standard patchcabe ? Y cable ? How can the sub oscillators be tuned? Should i get a guitar tuner along with it ? which can be used inline?

With MPC One i can send gate signals to clock it - but i could be clocked via midi, so there are 4 CV signals left to modulate this synth?

The mpc manual says:

“Use standard 1/8” (3.5 mm) TS cable to send a single CV/Gate signal per output, or use a stereo TRS-to-dual mono TSF breakout cable (such as a Hosa YMM-261) to send two CV/Gate signals per output.”

You could turn down the level from the main osc and tune only the sub osc or use the seperate outs from the subs. Im not using it with a tuner, just with my bad ears :blush:

I think with a stereo TRS to mono cable you can have up to 8 individual CV signals.

found this, instantly liked it

2 Likes

Looks like a fun setup!

Hey - so I have checked the manual and is this what the MIDI Transport setting on page 44 is all about? It says its default is set to “On”

I still haven’t been able to get this to work - also probably because I cannot figure out how to send sysex commands : (

Please excuse my ignorance I am fairly new to all of this.