Most disconcerting (non-violent) films you've seen?

The non-violent part of the title is really overlooked here…
I would mention The Turin Horse by Béla Tarr.

The other one - some of cult czech movies were already mentioned - is “O slavnosti a hostech” (The Party and the Guests):

2 Likes

Disconcerting…or just beautiful? PTA is great at frantic and calm, like composing music. As a person who is not neurotypical, that film is very…realistic…no, life like!

2 Likes

This has been much referenced since it’s release.

A lot of the stuff that makes it out of South Korea with English subs unsettles me too.

4 Likes

The thing I find most disconcerting about dead man’s shoes is how much it reminds me of the places and people I grew up with.

This scene though, the way it blends almost absurd humour with such tension. Proper filmmaking.

5 Likes

@Encephalitislerthargi mentioned it earlier but here’s the actual trailer for Gummo. This movie always bugged me out a bit

4 Likes

Now that is a banger

1 Like

Whiplash

3 Likes

Good Time. It’s an earlier film from the Safdie brothers, who also made Uncut Gems. It has the same frantic, stress-inducing vibe as Uncut Gems, but is way more dark and disturbing. Highly recommend if you’re looking to have a bad time.

5 Likes

Like Good Time way more than uncut gems. I’ve rewatched that so many times. Such a good aesthetic, exciting story, characters are all great and realistic. I don’t remember daddy longlegs but this and heaven knows what are some of my favorites

1 Like

I never watched the trailer or read what it was about. Just saw it one day and hit play.

Never Let Me Go

2 Likes

I saw the remake at The Roxy in philadelphia. No one laughed, thank god.

But I remember seeing a mouse run across the aisle

Very unsettling

I can imagine that though. People laugh at the most inexplicable moments in film. It’s like a weird social experiment. The last movie I saw in theaters was Bodies Bodies Bodies, which was so bad but fun to watch at the movies. And people were laughing their asses off. Makes me feel like an alien

Not sure how I forgot, one of my all time favorites. Very very disconcerting when you realize how often this happens in real life:

Villeneuve is one of the best directors

Incredibly beautiful, in a true detective s1 kind of way. the internal conflict of man reconciling the nature of evil to overcome greater evil is brutal

“The Captive” is similarly disturbing

6 Likes

Great movie, love Good Time.

2 Likes

Sometimes laughter just happens when ppl cannot process the awfulness presented to them. Hysteria.

1 Like

Yeah good point

1 Like

It’s such a weird thing. Probably somehow similar to laughing when you get hurt.
Like wtf?? :rofl:

1 Like

I was trying to grab a torrent of this years ago and accidentally got the 2006 “Out of the Blue”.Talk about disconcerting, I couldn’t even finish it. Along the lines of Run Hide Fight, Elephant, Polytechnique, and Snowtown

All of which made me want to puke

Coming Home in the Dark is another one

Thinking of movies that made me uncomfortable as a kid, The Cell was one that stuck with me in a really bad way for a very long time. The kind of thing you wish you’d never seen, like a live leak video or something. The flashback scenes of his family life scarred me forever

1 Like

Lemming is such a good film. I thought Dominik Moll’s Harry, he’s here to help was also a classic!