Most disconcerting (non-violent) films you've seen?

2 Likes

mindblowing thread, so so good!

did not read all posts but has Ulrich Seidl be mentioned already?

2 Likes

Mother

5 Likes

Is that the small theater in or near Old City? I grew up in South Jersey and have really fond memories of driving to it once I was old enough to drive to see films not shown locally, if so.

So many mentions of Mother which I found more obnoxious than anything.

1 Like

…what’s disconcerting is that it got made.

2 Likes

Import/Export, amazing!

I really like Christian Petzold, especially his earlier films from around 2000 - The State we are in, Totermann, Wolfsburg, Yella etc

Yella is great - has that disconcerting, underlying tension, mixed with an odd and non-descript sense of place regarding locations. Feels really banal and unnerving.

Dinner with Andre isn’t disconcerting but it should be mention in any thread about (mostly) good films.

1 Like

Not really violent but very tasty.

1 Like

Rock-a-Doodle is a bad movie, but the Duke of Owls terrified me as a child. It made sense as an adult now knowing he was voiced by Christopher Plummer

…okay fine, I’ll answer properly. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. No one seeking medical treatment should have to go through what the main character does.

1 Like

Can’t believe I forgot Jesus Camp. Both totally non-violent and disconcerting*. With not a hand raised, there are multiple instances of child abuse

Caveat

I feel obligated to say that I am not anti-christian, despite some misgivings, but I am anti-American-Evangelicalism

3 Likes

Watership down, especially as a 5 - 8 year old watching it in the cinema!

Original Lord of the flies:

Picnic at hanging rock:

5 Likes

The absolute dread

5 Likes

Yeah, we’ll not really old city. I think it was between like 18th and 17th below walnut, same street as my favorite record store, Long in the Tooth. Forget the name

But yeah it was past the release date, they showed like 2 year old movies there sometimes. Like Poultrygeist in 2010

I think of a new one every time I pop in here. Dear Zachary

But if we get into docs, there are gonna be a million. Even the popular stuff like ^this & capturing the friedmans

̶O̶h̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶J̶e̶r̶r̶y̶?̶
̶T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶b̶r̶u̶t̶a̶l̶
̶
̶W̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶e̶?̶ ̶N̶o̶t̶ ̶“̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶M̶e̶l̶v̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶e̶v̶i̶l̶”̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶i̶l̶a̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶b̶e̶.̶ ̶A̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶o̶c̶u̶m̶e̶n̶t̶a̶r̶i̶a̶n̶,̶ ̶R̶o̶s̶s̶ ̶m̶c̶e̶l̶w̶e̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶f̶t̶ ̶s̶p̶o̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶y̶p̶e̶ ̶g̶u̶y̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶v̶i̶s̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶r̶i̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶t̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶e̶f̶i̶c̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶t̶h̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶e̶g̶e̶d̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶b̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶a̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶s̶a̶w̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶?̶

**EDIT: STEVIE! wow, that took a long time to remember

oh, and The Bridge

@Matmcr Yes! mike leigh. devastating

2 Likes

Equally enthralling and disconcerting

1 Like

This movie might have had the most disturbing effect on me ever.
I was around 11-12 when I watched it but still. Absolutely chilling.
The trailer makes it seem almost goofy, it’s not.

Jacob’s Ladder Jacobs inferno (1990) - IMDb

In the Mouth of Madness

The others I can think of have already been mentioned :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Probably not the most disconcerting movie but definitely worth watching plus no violence at all:

1 Like

The Lighthouse scene is probably one of my favorite movie moments… the sound design is just on another level… it was the first time i felt like i wanted to shut off the TV but was too enthralled and captivated by what i was watching that i couldn´t… Natalie Portman perfectly portrayed exactly those emotions in those scenes as well.

3 Likes

this is more straight up depression then disconcerting… probably one of the best movies i will never watch again. i will not put myself through that again.

1 Like

Barefoot Gen: a depiction of the effects the atomic bomb had on Japan and its citizen´s.
There´s a particular scene right after the bomb strike where the protagonist walks past a horde of people which survivors dubb´d “ant-walking alligator people” so badly burnt from the initial blast but still survived, all senses senses lost. i can´t think of a more horrible way to die…

There will be blood

Daniel Day Lewis being an absolute psychotic oil baron.

2 Likes