Most disconcerting (non-violent) films you've seen?

La Cinquième Saison

R. W. Fassbinder - Martha
!!!

Conspiracy, about the Wannsee conference where they “discuss” the final solution. I was dragged into the movie to be left in shock after seeing it knowing this really happened:

Triangle of Sadness, not all the time “disconcerting”, but I did feel vicarious shame during the movie most of the time.

1 Like

Have you happened to of watched the No. 9 episode Empty Orchestra which takes place in a karaoke room? The shock of this episode was in the warmth of the ending. I watched it last night and put me in a wonderful mood.

Yeah, some of the episodes doesn’t end up as dark as expected, which can make for a rollercoaster of uncertainty.

Think I’ve watched all Inside No 9 episodes. League of Gentlemen, Pychoville… pretty everything the main protagonists are involved in writing

1 Like

Psychoville looks crazy. Going to check that out after I’m finished with 9. Hard not to be impressed with the writing and the fact that the BBC allows such shows to be made.

Agree. Feels like the beeb of old. Very much in the vein of Tales of the Unexpected (ran on TV in the early 80’s) Twilight Zone or more recently the Cabinet Of Curiosities (Netflix)

1 Like

I don’t remember Tales of the Unexpected but I do remember Tales from the Darkside. The opening of tha show still gives me spooky vibes.

2 Likes

As an aside the music is composed by Christian Henderson, you can see more about his process on his YouTube channel:

1 Like

Roald Dahl’s Tales of the Unexpected was on ITV between 1979–1988 (just looked it up)

Another one from the same era was Hammer House Of Horror (1980).

Neither of which I should have been watching as an ten/eleven year old. Both incredibly dark at times. Probably don’t stand up to modern production standards, but the writing was top notch!

1 Like

Oh cool, thanks for sharing. I think that the show is also a great example of how having limitations (re: all episodes being in a single location) can make people more creative.

One of my earliest memories is being absolutely shit scared of the opening titles of this. No idea what’s so scary about it, but I still can’t look at it without shitting myself a little bit.

1 Like

The silhouette of a woman dancing in fire, what’s not to be scared of? :joy:

1 Like

Exactly

1 Like

Definitely leans into the limitations heavily. More like a stage play than a tv show

1 Like

This is awesome and ahead of its time! Very creative about a tower that follows a man.

I have thought that as well but can also say it about a few British shows but very few American ones except maybe certain episodes of Star Treks, which might be an odd thing to say. One of my very favorite shows is I, Claudius which is really the pinnacle of theater as a TV show for me.

That film is an absolute gut punch. Not sure if it’s disconcerting. I felt it was more just heartbreaking. Excellent film but oof!

Dogtooth

1 Like