Most disconcerting (non-violent) films you've seen?

Kids is basically a 1950’s juvenile delinquency movie.

Was it the expose about Harmony Korine on Vice? He went into a bit of it on that video. It’s wild man. I really don’t think Larry Clark, an old ass man hanging with teenagers, could make it today.

1 Like

The Kids (2021) - IMDb

this is what I watched. it’s really sad honestly.

article: ‘The Kids’, the documentary about the fallout of the 1995 film ‘Kids’ (russh.com)

Straight up haunting

3 Likes

This reminds me i also think his film: Zero Theorem was odd in it’s own way, IDK disconcerting?

1 Like

Has Murmur of the Heart been mentioned?

Larry Clark’s photo book ‘Tulsa’ is well worth a look too.

Terry Gilliam has a knack for that.

1 Like

This is a pretty weird list yet, but some are missing. Here are a few picks from me

Lars von Thrier: Nymphomaniac

One of the most empathic movies about sexuality.

Allain Robbe-Grillet: Last year in Marienbad

A surrealist masterpiece that I havent quite understood yet.

Yorgos Lanthimos: Dogtooth

A weird family manipulated in a web of lies.

Elio Petri: The 10th Victim

Precessor of Running Man, very stylish with Marcello Mastroianni and Ursula Andress

Peter Greenaway: The cook, the thief, his wife and her Lover

Decadence at its best

Lynne Ramsay: We need to talk about Kevin

terrific performance by Tilda Swinton and Ezra Miller

Abel Gance: La Roue

after 100 Years, this masterpiece with his avant-garde cuts from Abel Gance is stil more modern then many movies today.

Steve Mcqueen: Hunger

See Michael Fassbender as an IRA activist, never giving up resistance even in a british prison.

Russ Meyer: Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

In the 60s they couldnt handle these 3 feminist women.

William Friedkin: Bug

The drugs dont work

Nicolle Kassel: The Woodsman

Sympathy for the devil.

Jean Luc Godard: Alphaville

Science Fiction in content and form.

George Lucas: THX 1138

Nine Inch Nails sampled the Beats in Mr. Self Destruct.

and probs to Gaspar Noe: Enter the Void, as mentioned before

2 Likes

This thread is rad!! Adding:

The serpent and the rainbow

Fantastic Planet

Nausicaa of the valley of the wind

5 Likes

altered states

waking life

the transcendents

paranoid park

teenage engineering choir

no holds barred.

2 Likes

I loved Altered States when I saw it as a kid on VHS but tried to re-visit it a couple years ago which was a mistake. Some films, for me, are better to cherish as memories.

1 Like

there’s some truth to that. It’s hard, at times, to be in the frame of mind as someone who has not experienced technology. Like watching reruns of land of the lost, which was already ageing when I was a kid, but I remember thinking it was awesome and that the sleestacks meant serious business… then later seeing it with it’s banjo intro and how everything was made out of Styrofoam I couldn’t believe how cool I thought that show was.

1 Like

Same but don’t put a spoiler in the post!! Truly a masterpiece tho, on every level.

1 Like

The Lost Women of NXIVM
Mysterious Skin
Plague Dogs
Capturing the Friedmans
Gummo
Pixote
Lilya 4 -Ever - VERY disturbing

Honorable Mention: Any Joe Biden press conference.

3 Likes

Ha ha. Land of the Lost was a “hoot” even as a kid I’m sure you thought something was slightly off about the effects and such but as children we are better about diving into our imagination and enjoying ourselves.

The original Clash of the Titans was the absolute best movie EVER if you watched it at the right age but sitting in 2023 it’s funny to think that adults were going to the movie theater to see it. Todays special effects… can’t help to think now that they sort of quash that child inside of us which we can tap into at times to get wrapped up in something visually naive vs having a fantasy honed to the point where as viewers we don’t need to exercise our imagination.

2 Likes

This one was a hell of a ride, I spent the whole film asking myself " what the heck is this about ?" then finally , while walking in the street and discussing about what we just saw with my gf, I eventually understood. Overall, a good movie, and I discovered Om because of it.

It’s a pretty old film, I figured most people have seen it already. Amended.

1 Like

This one is also very very good, with a gorgeous black and white, and a story you keep thinking of , many times after.

3 Likes

Roman Polanski - The tenant
Lars von Trier - Melancholia
Ingmar Bergman - The silence

1 Like