Most disconcerting (non-violent) films you've seen?

Bad Boy Bubby was quite disconcerting. Ingenious little Aussie black comedy.

city of lost children is like a weird dream almost,

annihilation was not top tier. the weird bear creature was interesting I guess but it was forced. and special effects were pretty typical.

I watched one recently which was good through 65 percent of the movie then takes a nose dive. I’ll have to see if I remember the name,

Spectral is the name - just verified - it’s a bit “violent” though, but reminded me of annhilation without the pretense of being alienesque.

1 Like

The very last shot of Enemy by Denis Villeneuve with Jake Gyllenhaal was probably the most disconcerting non-violent movie moment I’ve ever had. Don’t know if I could sit through it again knowing what’s coming. Also, the car crash bj scene in World According to Garp. I was 11 years old in the theatre and I stood up and stormed out.

2 Likes

Not a movie but the BBC show Inside No 9 is probably the most disconcerting TV I’ve ever watched.

1 Like

You’re so right. Some episodes are incredibly dark and linger in the mind: Precisely what the writers are aiming for…

1 Like

Yes… I cannot watch more than 1 episode a night. They are rather overwhelming. Great acting too!

1 Like

Think one episode is enough, give your brain a chance to digest what it has “witnessed” :slight_smile:

1 Like

is that anything like black mirror? I found that show a bit too disturbing for my normal routine. I saw the bandersnatch film and then decided afterward to go back and watch the series - it started out with some enjoyable episodes, very tongue in cheek, and then the second season rapidly evolved to like, tongue in ear, uncomfortable.

1 Like

A bit but I didn’t care much for the little of Black Mirror that I watched. I would say it’s more humerous and unpredictable. Watching the first episode pretty much determine if you like the series or not but because it’s an anthology show some episodes sort of suck or are just mildly entertaining while others are rather thought provoking while somehow managing to be hilarious in a very dark way. I generally steer away from things with too much horror but this show is very absurd and hard to explain.

1 Like

The Vanishing always haunts me. Thinking about the ending makes my brain explode.

1 Like

has anyone ever seen the anime series from the late 90’s or early 00’s called Serial Experiments Lain? it’s super disorienting and has a crazy premise.

3 Likes

“Never Let Me Go”, the adaptation of Ishiguro’s novel by the same title. The book was upsetting enough; the movie gave me nightmares.

1 Like

Definitely. Haibane Renmei by the same person is even more so.

1 Like

While not a film per se, I have been watching the new Amazon Prime series The Consultant with one of my favorite actors Christoph Waltz as the lead villain. Such a great series and disturbing insight into evil mindset of a top corporate manager.

1 Like

How to Save a Dead Friend hit me pretty hard recently

The Viewing Booth was rather disturbing

1 Like

yeah, haibane renmei is from a doujinshi that yoshitoshi abe was working on and then someone greenlit the anime so the resolution only happened in the show. I also thought that one was really good, the concept being left a bit vague even at the end made it more mysterious. left you to wonder if the haibane were all outcasts from heaven for the same reason. He had another one called niea under 7 which is super weird and kind of a sleeper, it’s not exactly slice of life but kind of? like sci fi slice of life?

yoshitoshi abe, chiaki j konaka and the director ryutaro nakamura (of lain and they also worked on ghost hound together) were going to do another project called despera but nakamura passed away a few years ago and it’s been in development hell ever since.

he’s pretty great, did you watch that newer western dead for a dollar that has him and willem dafoe? it was dry but entertaining.

1 Like

not yet is it worth watching?

it’s a bit dry like I said, if you like christolph waltz as an actor and not just as a villain it’s pretty good, he’s a polite realist lawman with a strange sense of justice and a conscience in a time when people were turds. has a bit of a coen brothers sense of out of place chattiness from some of the character interactions but if you like the actors and you don’t get bored by westerns it’s worth checking out.

1 Like

I remember watching this for the first time as a young teenager (15 maybe) after reading reviews about it in Rolling Stone. Tried to go as far as to try and watch it through the scrambling filter when it was played on pay-per-view. Finally it came to Blockbuster, and my friends and I thought it was so cool (minus the underage sex and sexual assault) how they hung out and skated and just didnt have a care in the world. Watched it again when I was 20 something and was so disturbed by all of it, and couldn’t believe I use to want to be as carefree and wreck less.

1 Like

there’s a recent documentary that exposes how the “actors” were just some kids the director nuzzled up to and then used them as their own characters basically. screwed them all out of any profits by paying them a small amount of money up front. then later held a photo show and made a bunch more money off the photographs he took of them before the film started.

it’s dark to hear the truth. the script is barely existent, that’s why it comes off so hard and gritty. 2 of the biggest stars are dead. it’s tragic.

he, the director, refused to comment in the documentary.

1 Like