Most disconcerting (non-violent) films you've seen?

90% of us just ignored the (non-violent) part in the title….

5 Likes

Not sure if it has been mentioned previously but Aftersun was absolutely devastating. Really unsettled me for days afterwards

You are absolutely right. English is not my native language so I think I misinterpreted the term disconcerting. Please excuse me.

1 Like

No worries. It might be the most disturbing Holocaust film I ever saw not that I have some rating system. The last disturbing WWII related film I’ve watched was The Painted Bird which came out a few years ago but it felt like a bad copy of Come And See which is also one of the most horrifying films I’ve seen. Anyways, I’m trying to stick to indulging in films that are merely disconcerting…as the horrors in this world don’t seem to be on any decline.

Today I was talking to someone on the street who watched Lolita for the first time recently and had a rather critical view of it regarding the use of slap-stick humor in parts, among other things. I haven’t seen it in ages and as much as I can re-watch Peter Sellers films more than any other actor I doubt I’ll be watching it again, unlike his non-disconcerting film Being There, which is worth a once a year viewing in my opinion.

I guess one shouldn’t assume that others get the same emotional response from a piece of art even when overwhelmed with a strong emotion. One of my very favorite films if not my very favorite is The Taste of Cherry. Maybe most find this disconcerting? Not sure but could see that being the case while I found it to be life affirming.

2 Likes

Not violent but with mustaches, right?

8 Likes

I just watched The Cider House Rules. On the one hand seems like a simpy heart string puller, but it is pretty disconcerting when you list the things that occur…

1 Like

Punch Drunk Love

7 Likes

Watching any Werner Herzog documentary that came out in the last 10+ years is disconcerting as it makes you realize how much he likes listening to himself. Cave of Dreams? More like cave of mirrors when left to his direction.

George Sluizer’s The Vanishing, 1988.

3 Likes

That’s a great film but what is really disconcerting is the awful Hollywood remake.

Love the In The Air Tonight tie in!

1 Like

Hah, and the mad thing is that George Sluizer also directed that remake!

It’s a bit like Michael Haneke directing Funny Games and also the remake. The demands of Hollywood :grinning:

1 Like

I saw the Funny Games remake in the theater and the most disconcerting or maybe disturbing thing about it were the people laughing at the violence.

2 Likes

Also most of the Dogma manifest directors made incredibly disturbing films without going violent

4 Likes

I watched Man Bites Dog at the cinema, and there were a few laugh out loud moments quickly interjected by scenes of extreme violence, which made it a proper head fuck. I’m sure Remy Belvaux (RIP) did that on purpose :grinning:

3 Likes

This stayed with me for a long time afterwards…

1 Like

Wonderful film but violently… violent.
I had no idea there was an English version, good thing for the world.
(is in vost english on YT, full version).

2 Likes

This might actually be the saddest film in the whole world…

Have you seen Where the Wind Blows?

1 Like

Yeah, unreal film and agonisingly grim. Ironically, I watched it again on Christmas Day last year as a contrast to the usual Raymond Briggs annual replaying of the Snowman. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, totally agree. It’s a mega violent offering up there with Gasper Noe. Sorry, I mentioned it in context to the previous comment of the audience laughing at the violence in Funny Games. :grinning:

1 Like