Most PUNCHY Drum machine

2 is not a crazy idea. They are not that expensive. 2 is still much less than the cost of a single AH.

1 Like

Yeah, thinking the same… and it would be not too difficult I hope to set exact same settings for both channels, at the same time some serious stereo effects will be possible with different rythm synced CVs to each of them.

Somehow I like demos of Kinematic much more than Analog Heat, at least as I remember it from a few hours I’ve spent with it. K seems much more alive, evil and again…
PUNCHY : )

1 Like

Most PUNCHY…hmmm Acidlab Miami was quite punchy…Sonic Charge Microtonic too…,

3 Likes

They have very few controls, so setting the pair near identical should not be too difficult. But imagine the stereo effects you could get with CV modulation and setting them both differently!

2 Likes

If you have problems with making your TR-8S punchy in the mix, it sounds more like a mix, it sounds more like a mixing problem than a problem with the TR-8S itself, as it can sound VERY punchy by IMO. Try sidechaining you synths with a lot of low end using the external inputs of the TR-8S. Or just do it ITB. And remove unnecessary low frequencies of synths and other sounds.

Volca kick doesn’t have punch. It has kick. Well, it has punch too. But it’s kick, not punch. But it can punch in the face. With a kick. A kick in the a… like a punch.
Oh my, I should quit internet for a few hours I think

6 Likes

The Yamaha RX5 is the punchiest drum machine in existence, with very deep creative potential. IMHO.

2 Likes

What a nice detailed explanation! Thank you!
Now we know everything about Volka and from this point I will recommend you to others as a Kick-Korg expert who knows the inner essence of punchy kicks!

: )

1 Like

Wouldn’t call RX5 “the puchniest” but yeah, it has “that thing”.

To my taste the most punchy drum machine from that kind of machines was XR10, sounded killer! Sold it since it had NO MIDI clock input and was too brutal for me : ) But yeah… it was so nasty!

Also Akai S20 sampler from the same era and same design is still very punchy and nice, despite limitations. A friend of mine, who make electronic music since 80s and have quite a nice variety of instruments still use it exclusively for his live shows (even at bigger events like +1000ppl ), exactly for this lofi punchy character. He explained me once what was the reason for that sound, but I can’t remember and the explanation was very very technical, covering the deep nature of digital audio. Anyway, you can hear it for yourself.

4 Likes

Roland TR 06 might be a nice punchy option too.

2 Likes

Actually yes… mybe just an illusion, but from demos I noticed it offers something different apart from other roland boutiques.

and of course original 606 is a nasty beast. some see it as a poor 808. NO NO and NO! it’s a killer thing by itself especially modded with IND outs and some post processing.

1 Like

I extend the AR mkII with analog eurorack modules to get some extra real-time analog punch. For example, I use the Erica Synths snare and toms modules in place of the internal sounds on the snare and ht-lt tracks and you basically get a franken909. I route MIDI out from those tracks through an Expert Sleepers FH-2 (using trigger and velocity as accent) to the drum modules, and then stereo mix the signals back into the AR via the external audio inputs. Nice little way to incorporate live modular sounds with AR’s sequencer. I like that a bit more than merely sampling. Looking to incorporate some WMD drum modules next.

1 Like

Want to say thnx to @Six06 Got the Kinematic today, what a wonderful thing!
At the moment only one pedal : ) Mono is better than Stereo! It’s 2x times cheaper, 2x times easier on CPU, 2x times smaller files, 2x times more space for imagination!

Listened to Modor today… Both synth and drum machine… well… Impressed!
The sound is not “that” punchy or “too present” as for example 909 or Waldorf M with analog filters, but they both have nice full “3D” effect, modern digital algorithms. Quite “no soul” sound, but still very pleasant at the same time. Futuristic. Alternative.
Again, I’m impressed… And the UI and control is just on another level…

Any other Modor DR-2 users here?
What you think of it after some time?
How do you like it?

3 Likes

My secret weapon is not giving a shit about the live mix and just recording and processing the stems/loops in my DAW. I also own expensive units like Analog Heat and Distressors. Still don’t use them for live, as I just record into my DAW. Design a good soundscape with your synths and all your mix problems will be solved.

2 Likes

different approaches > different methods > different sound…

if we talking about recording some material, of course it will end up in DAW at some stage anyhow and prepared for release. However record synths to samplers is the one of the most fun things I know > modular into DT or else… make your own palette and feel free to record or perform with it later…

1 Like

The punchiest drums I get is using my Jomox Modbase 09 MK2 eurorack drum into Hexinverter Mutant Hot Glue eurorack mixer with compression and distortion. But I have an Endorphin.es Queen of Pentacles on the way to compare to. Definitely harder hitting than samples or drums in the Elektron Rytm MK2 that I spent time trying out.

2 Likes

I really like Jomox sound. They all different and cool, but Alpha Base maybe the most desired from the list… sounds so pleasant and “soft”, but still punchy!!!

Also Xbase 09 is still kicking hard, somehow more raw maybe than modern versions. Just different. I think I still have an upgrade kit for it to make its 12bit ram work like a sample player (samples upload via midi ). There were nice dr.w and toktok versions, military design, so cute : )

And for me UI is very transparent somehow… maybe because I had Xbase09 for 10+ years. Just a big joy to use, very intuitive. Those funny German people are one of the very best in that business : )

1 Like

It seems to me, at least from your responses, your ear tells you sample based units from the late 80s early 90s are what you consider punchy. If indeed that is the case I think you would be well situated with a few well curated sample packs of said machines and a Pioneer SP16. If that’s not punchy enough then not even prime George Forman hitting you in the face with a couple 909s taped to his hands will be a punchy enough experience.

3 Likes

yup love the Jomox and in spite of the crapy UI, the Jomox Alphabase would be my dream drum stand alone synth. Unless I found a Tanzbar around as that has great sound also.

1 Like

Jomox is super luxuriously crappy indeed! But every decision Jürgen made for his machines express his passion and his “home brewed” vision which is impossible to hate! Na ja, seltsamer deutscher drumcomputer!

4 Likes