Most PUNCHY Drum machine

George Forman can sleep well! SP12 is one of the punchies boxes we have now. Good we mentioned it here!

Cycles has a truly huge kick. Definitely the best kick for the money.

5 Likes

yes !

1 Like

Not punchy enough, sorry! Guys told one can get punched only with proper mixing, but here all we actually can mix are silence and a skull smashing BD…

NO MIX, NO PUNCH!

:slight_smile:

Glad I could help! Hopefully it is what you were looking for and you get a lot out of it.

1 Like

It’s def not what I was looking for) which doesn’t make it less nice : )

Yeah the way the akai S20 downsamples is absolutely filthy, something to do with its downsample algorithm maybe but it is a bit of a pain even with the modern mods you might pack into it. Cuts through a mix well, but also it’s not a warm sampler like an SP1200. In my experience though using the S20 to process samples and then play back with another sampler, you don’t really lose much other than the annoyances of taking something like an S20 out live. I want to say S20 was pretty well hated back in the day for the most part :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I bought a Korg ER-1 recently and after some fiddling this thing can dish out some really deep kicks very easily… I’d recommend this thing to anyone looking for a fun quirky drum machine!

4 Likes

The best drums I got is by sampling drumsounds into Akai’s.
#1 S1100 (the very best sounding piece of gear)
#2 MPC60 (tends to get a bit muffled, needs external EQ)
#3 MPC3000 (clean, needs EQ)

Every Akai pre Ren will give you a great punchy drum sound. (Never tried mpc500 and mpc1000 though)

4 Likes

yea the atrocious user interface on the Jomox Alphabase is why I have not bought one yet. Now if Jurgen would hire Teenage Engineering to do some UI design and update the screens and user interface he would have a hit machine that would sell like hotcakes. At least Elektron Rytm has a somewhat decent interface and nice pads for tapping out drum beats.

1 Like

3000 is insanitly good even nowadays! a bit luxury to have!!! :heart:

Not for everyone maybe, but I find it simple to use… and fun! Don’t know why, for me it’s easier than Tempest, or even AR, somehow i dig it… read manual 3 times and…

btw … Chris Carter from Throbbing Gristle / Chris & Cosey uses TR-8s on stage for his spacy heavy beats

5 Likes

The Korg ES-1 is absolutely one of the best drum machines ever IMO. I had a very nice condition MKII and sold it for almost no reason like 6 years ago–instant regret. I almost risked an decades old, well reviewed ebay account by canceling the sale to rescue it but wimped out at the last minute.

1 Like

Or even in a different room.

1 Like

Absolutely. Very good point.

The Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter will punch you in the face but you might not get back up.

3 Likes

And you too : )

Actually their new free plugins are quite punchy as well : )

2 Likes

THANK YOU!!! I had no idea these existed!

I’m a huge fan of theirs, have spoken to one or two of their designers in the past, but am not a Euro or 5U user these days. Just 4U for modular.

I have been on vacation though, and making music just with software in the evenings. I’m going to grab these post haste :wink:

1 Like