MOTU Ultralite mk5 vs RME Babyface pro FS

Hi all,

So I’ve owned a babyface for many years and absolutely love it for what it is. Love the build, and the way you interact with it, the big knob is ace.

However, I’m in need of more inputs and also love the idea of DC coupled outputs for a stronger integration between abelton and my modular.

I’ve had a ultralite mk3 in the past and it was fine for my needs. I love the no nonsense I/O about it. lots of line in and outs.

They are both around the same price point and I was wandering what makes this difference in price? Why is the rme the same price with less IO and how come the motu is able to offer more in this price range.

I’d like to keep my babyface and perhaps I should just add the ultralite next to it but it seems a waste of money? Who knows having a space interface might come in handy.

I tried the adat route with Behringer breakouts but its not for me somehow, maybe its a matter of investing in a proper 19 inch rack to tidy it all up

anyone?

Why not just expand inputs/outputs w/ ADAT? Can find any old 8x8 motu (828 for example) for 100$.

Edit: the mk5 is gonna be just as messy next to the BF

1 Like

Do the 828’s add dc coupling?

I had/have the exact same story you have.

I had a motu mk3, got a baby face pro, got the behringer ada8200, I eventually ended up with the motu ultralite mk5.

I’m pretty happy with my decision.

(I have not tried the outputs for controlling eurorack gear though)

1 Like

Ah I though some of the older ones also did. Mk3 is the 1st one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/which-audio-interfaces-are-dc-coupled/#MOTU

Edit: I also have an 2nd 828es I’m will to part with cheap if interested. I can have the admin reopen the closed FS thread.

yeah it seems nice to have everything in one box

might need to part with the babyface then!

Not to derail the og post too much but jus a question regarding ADAT. First time ive heard about this.

How does this work? Say I have moto UL mk5 but bought a second to give me more outputs. Do both connect to PC with their usb then interlinked together with optical cable or is it just the “master” that connects to PC then slave only has optical input(from master)?

One is a master and one is a slave. ADAT (At 44.1) gives you 8ins/8outs. They connect to each other via adat ports only.
So in a nutshell, you route the 8 analog ins/outs of the slave to adat and on the master you route that adat source like any other audio source. So you’d end up w/ 16 i/o. This is only 1 use case.

Another use case would be something like an akai S6000 sampler. It has adat, you could connect the sampler to your mk5 via adat and get 8 i/o to and from the sampler w/o using any of the motu analog inputs.

1 Like

Thanks…with only one (master) connected to pc via usb?

Correct.

1 Like

Thanks for info …nice to know I can expand later using ADAT…

I might be interested in your 828es if you’re thinking of selling.

Theres a lot of ways that can be used. Theres a bunch of us that use the USBStreamer box to connect our iPads to the adat ports on our interfaces.

2 Likes

I messaged you.

(to the mods: if this happens, I’ll either remake or have you open the past post which was closed. i knwo you want sales/trades/etc documented)

This one is working for me. Thanks again on pointing me toward it.

Neat!!!