Moving to San Diego: Tips, Music venues, places to visit, etc

Open oscillator!!! Get involved!!!

2 Likes

It’s been close to 20 years since I was in San Diego, but among my fondest memories are a shotgun wedding and .99$ fish tacos at Rubio’s, both of which I can highly recommend.

1 Like

I will for sure!

Reading this makes me hungry, I hope they’re still there (with a slight price increase I guess).

1 Like

Rubio’s are everywhere around here and still good. There are lots of places to get fish tacos though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

(Might be my first flagged post evar)

5 Likes

The Two-Taco Plate at Rubio’s was a go-to for me, once I was able to afford more than the $2 ravioli meal that was sold at the Muir College cafeteria.

Some great fish taco shops in Encinitas near Lou’s Record Store - forgot the names, I guess they were non-chain, neighborhood only shops.

Yoshinoya’s beef bowl combo was another go-to - bowl, soda, and a slice of cheesecake. Yeah I know different cuisine and whatever, but it was cheap.

2 Likes

Awesome!!

1 Like

Well I gues I should learn how to drive a car or a motorcycle since all places seems to be pretty far away from each other.

I’ll survive from a combination of something like this + free food from social events hahaha

In the case of Rubio’s you won’t have to leave campus. :sunglasses:

https://universitycenters.ucsd.edu/dining-retail/dining/index.html#Rubio’s-Coastal-Grill

Too bad it wasn’t there when I was a student. I’m guessing it replaced the Wendy’s. We used to go there to get a Frosty whenever the UCSD Anime Club put on something that bored us, but their burgers sometimes made me sick :face_vomiting:

There is a mall called Westfield UTC that is within easy reach of UCSD as well by foot or bicycle - lots of eateries there.

2 Likes

hell yea, we live one town north of la jolla. pretty chill area and ucsd is great.

listening to ambientes now, love the vibe. dm if you need anything :slight_smile:

mostly busy with a new kid and software stuff so haven’t seen a show in lightyears, but this place on ucsd campus was a staple of my youth: http://thechecafe.blogspot.com

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll be releasing some extended version of the EP soon :slight_smile: when both of us have some time we can meet to nerd a bit about synths.

I’m glad they changed it jeje I’m actually vegetarian but I est seafood from time to time, so Rubio’s prety goood.

1 Like

San Diego-based musical group here.

UCSD is in La Jolla, which makes it a bit of an island from the rest of San Diego. San Diego isn’t particularly bike friendly since the county consists of many medium-size cities separated by lots of canyons, hills, mesas, and freeways. You’ll need a car to get to basically all of the venues and interesting places. You’ll miss the Transantiago system immediately: San Diego has really disjointed and inefficient public transportation that’s basically a joke. Also, many touring bands often bypass San Diego in favor of Los Angeles when they’re in Southern California—and LA is a 3 hour drive away.

That said, the weather is pleasant and as close to central Chile as one could hope. There’s a few good record stores left. There’s also Modular San Diego, a small scene that’s growing out here and hosting events at different spots. Feel free to DM or ask any questions about the good/bad/ugly of SD.

3 Likes

Thank you!

I was expecting that to be honest. Most of I’ve known about public transport in the us is that there are just a few cities where it works well, and also most of them are not built with pedestrians/bikers in mind. I think I’ll be forced to learn how to drive a car or motorbike hahahah

I’m curious how you know about the transantiago system. Have you lived/been here? :smile:

How is recreational cycling - like can you pop out of the house and hit a trail into the hills or ride oceanside or is that not easy as well?

Lived in Santiago for a while in different comunas (Ñuñoa, Santiago Centro, Providencia, Quinta Normal) while studying abroad. Walkable, perfectly acceptable metros, decent buses, okay taxis. I never had to drive a car while I was there and that was easily of the best things about being there.

1 Like

You’d have to drive your bike over to the coast or trails, unless you live right next to these things. Everything is too decentralized here. I personally wouldn’t bike around due to all the bad drivers, inconsistent bike lanes, and constant slopes. Finding flat spaces with safely delineated bike lanes isn’t common. Having said that, there are stretches of the Pacific Coast Highway (US Route 101) that are absolutely breathtaking.

1 Like

Nice, it sounds like Miami to me. I appreciate Colorado because I can just ride anywhere and not have to worry about cars at all. I suspect I would miss that over time. SD seems like a nice spot to have a smaller vacation home just to be near the ocean and have top tier weather. Of course it is very excpensive, but just something I have been thinking about.

1 Like

Now there’s even more metros and bike lanes around all the city. Personally I barely use them cause I prefer to drive with cars cause it is faster, but that will last until I had an accident (hopefully never).

Let’s hang out pass september! I’d love to meet people making music outside the university.

2 Likes

I lived in Ocean Beach for a decade… loved it

2 Likes

For Tacos!!

Tacos El Gordo (Adobada) Aunthentic TJ style taco shop (World Famous)
Taco Stand ( A slightly more americanised Tacos El Gordo ) has a location in La Jolla
Tuetano (Michelin rated Birria tacos garnished with bone marrow)

More Resources for San Diego style taco shops

2 Likes