Moving to San Diego: Tips, Music venues, places to visit, etc

They recently expanded the local MTS Trolley line to extend to UCSD, so honestly you can pretty much get anywhere from where your at now, used to be tough living up there without a car.

2 Likes

i grew up in miami. it’s nothing like san diego… other than needing a car and the possibility of living in a suburb etc… the vibe etc are very very different. miami is full of agro people … not everyone of course. there’s plenty of nice people but it has more than its share of total douchebags and psychos.

yeah I meant geographically. Warm weather and on the ocean. I understand Miami is it’s own thing when it comes to the people, that was the toughest part of living there.

1 Like

indeed. miami is humid af though and way hotter than san diego. the desert gets hot once you get like 8 or 9 miles from the coast in san diego but it also cools at night and is generally perfect aside from the santa ana winds and stuff like that… where as miami is 92 in february and your ass sweats just walking between air conditioned buildings. :wink:

Great news! Thanks

Tacos El Gordo is worth the trek to get there.

3 Likes

Look up the Facebook/ Instagram open oscillator, it’s an occasional meet up up mic nite style for electronic jams, usually at whistlestop but had some at casbah also

1 Like

El Gordo is rather overrated as far as taco places go. As far as TJ-style mini tacos go, they’re a bit ho-hum and often outclassed. In Tijuana itself, they’re just another run-of-the-mill spot with better-than-average marketing on this side of the border.

The birria thing has really skyrocketed in SD in the last 5+ years, and while there are a lot of opportunistic trendhoppers, some of these places are doing stellar work.

The California burrito might be seen as an aberration by purists, but it’s one of the few uniquely San Diegan ideas out there. Ditto for carne asada fries.

Maybe, but as a concierge who refers guests to restaurants for work, people lose their shit the first time they try it, and tacos el gordo is a fantastic introduction to the Lebanese inspired adoboda and smoky asada meats for like a fraction of a price of most spots .

There are tons of awesome mexican choices in San Diego and Tijuana. SALUD, TJ OYSTER BAR, LAS CUATRO MILPAS, TACOS EL FRANC (TJ) etc. I also attached further lists on tacos /iconic cali burrito spots.

Curious which ones who you think are better?

1 Like

Now that you mentioned Tijuana, how easy is to get there? Is it safe to travel for the day or a weekend?

You can get there super easily using the trolley system I mentioned in my other post. You just need your passport, and it helps quite a bit if you speak decent spanish. Sometimes it can take hours to cross back. My friends and I go there for day trips a lot and eat and drink mainly for cheap. It’s safe as long as you don’t go looking for trouble. Weekend trips mainly in the wine country valle de Guadalupe or on the Baja beach areas.

3 Likes

Getting to Tijuana is easy. Coming back takes forever.

2 Likes

After years of cruising around San Diego for years, there are positive things to be said about the tacos from: Tacos El Paisa, 664 TJ Birrieria, Tacos El Trompo, Tacos Machin, Lupe’s Tacos, Aqui es Texcoco, Tacos El Poblano.

A few years ago Tacos Revolucion would’ve made the list, but their quality tanked after 2020. Both members of Corduroy Institute noticed this and it was a real disappointment since this spot had nailed the TJ taco flavors quite well.

2 Likes

OK! Those are some legit choices! you know you stuff

Aqui es Texcoco is one my favorites in SD as well! Lamb Barbecoa + Consumee & Huitalocoche Quesotacos FTW! Wash it down with a Beer from Insurgente or the Tamarindo aqua fresca with real tamarind!!

3 Likes

Now I need to arrive to try all possible taco places.

2 Likes