MPC style sample chopping on DT

hi y’all

does anyone have experience/tricks to chop long samples so that you get the same effect as you would on an mpc style workflow, ie, ‘notes’ jump to different start positions rather than different pitches? Best I can come up with is p-locking the start and putting the same sample on all 8 voices

That sounds like slicing, and you’ll need an Octatrack to do it. The Digitakt can p-lock the sample start, which can be cool.

Also, you can assign an LFO to sample start, which can be great.

1 Like

Copy - paste the same sample across all sample slots and create a new start point on each sample.

Digitakt doesn’t do mute groups, though

3 Likes

This is the best I’ve got. This little trick lets you set up sample slices pretty quickly and easily. But you still won’t be able to really play them beyond using trig preview. So you definitely won’t be able to play them into a sequence.

Bottom line is if you want an Elektron sampler that does proper slicing you want an Octatrack.

Another alternative is using another sampler with the Digitakt. Usually when I chop a sample on my Digitakt I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do with it. Sometimes that’s because I put it on my phone and messed around with it in Koala sampler. Sometimes if I’m at my desk I’ll chop it up on my Zoom Sampletrak first. And while I usually use my Circuit Rhythm on its own, it works great as a sketch pad too.

I think Koala sampler is the one thing I’d recommend to everyone generally if you’re at all interested in making sample based music. Get the full Samurai version. Best ten dollars you’ll ever spend.

5 Likes