Munro Sonic Egg monitors

Not noticed it myself, I’ve actually been pretty surprised how quiet they are, given that I’d read a bit about this on GS before I bought them.

1 Like

Thanks for your input. They’re now connected to my Audient iD14 through the RCA input, because I don’t have the appropriate XLR/TRS cables and I’m waiting a new audio interface. I’ve properly gain staged everything. The noise doesn’t increase much with amp volume. It’s a noise floor audible when every volume (amp/audio interface) is down to zero, so I guess it’s coming from the rack. I’ve changed the main cable with the same issue. I hope Mr Munro will answer my message on Facebook. Maybe I should try the trim pots behind ?
As you said the mids and highs are stunning. I can hear a million details I never heard on my top albums, like delays and subtle reverbs. For example, I discovered how complex was an album like ‘Where we all fall asleep’ by Billie Eilish, which doesn’t sound too bassy on the Eggs (I know this sentence is crazy). There are no ugly artifacts, everything sits on the right place. And the soundstage is so 3D, it’s like being immersed in the album, especially with delicate stuff like ‘Lover, You Should’ve Come Over’ by Jeff Buckley.

1 Like

Get two TRS to XLR cables in your local shop or on Amazon for a tenner each and report back whether the noise floor will have disappeared :slight_smile: - in all likelihood you will be able to use those with your new interface as well, so a worthy investment either way :wink:

EDIT: the RCA inputs are meant for auxillary sound sources, they’re not really meant to receive a signal from your audio interface.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Well, the problem is the system is noisy even if nothing is played back or even plugged in. I doubt plugging an XLR will solve the issue. I’ve read the monitor cables were specific, but are they oriented or something like that ? I guess no. Anyway I’ll wait for a technical answer from Munro and I’ll update here.

1 Like

Ok if it is noisy when nothing is plugged in at all, then that’s an issue independent of the cables used. Have you made sure you plugged in the speaker cables correctly? Put them in and twist them till they lock (the cables are not L/R specific so that’s not a problem). Long shot, but just to eliminate any possible user error while we’re at it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I did it :wink:

1 Like

Greetings, fellow EGGheads.

Now that I have my EGGs installed, I’m realizing that I’ll want to have them a bit higher off of my desk, as I don’t have a meter bridge. I was previously using IsoAcoustic stands, but the rubber egg base won’t sit securely on them. I may just buy a pair of bricks to elevate them, but I thought I’d see if anyone could recommend a more ahem refined solution. Thanks!

1 Like

Books ? Preferably those you don’t read :grin: I appreciate the Egg’s rubber ‘pods’ to point the speakers upward while they stand firmly on my desk.

3 Likes

You could stack books, bricks are nice too :wink: alternatively you could get some semi-cheap stands to rest em on (eg K&H or something of that nature). The rubber pad is supposed to decouple from the surface they rest on, so you might just be fine with any of these approaches.

EDIT: something like this could also be an option. I have these exact stands and have synths resting on them. They are quite sturdy:

Congrats on your new system, let us know how it goes! :slight_smile:

@hausland - so I’ve finally managed to get some time with these and I am totally stoked on them!
The presentation feels very balanced and holds this down through low volumes. Separation and detail are astounding to me. The bass is really defined and textured and doesn’t sound lacking.
They haven’t struggled to reproduce the busiest mixes with separation and clarity - my old monitors would congest quite quickly.
The imaging is also pretty bonkers - things just jump out of the stereo field - actually made me jump a couple of times.
Aye these sound awesome : )

I have this issue as well. It wasn’t bothering me until I read that other people do not have this issue lol.
The white noise is not amplified when I increase the system volume, so I guess it does not pass through the amplifier.
Like you say, the white noise is sculpted by the mid eq control on the front panel. That mid eq section is not noted in the circuit diagram in the manual and I’m guessing that this must be a post-amplifier eq section. I’m thinking the noise could be a grounding issues in the output section.

Anyway, this doesn’t seem to affect their performance as far as I can tell.

3 Likes

Exactly. That said, it’s like a stain on a perfect wall, you become quickly obsessed :laughing:
I share your comment on busy mixes. I’m actually listening to JM Jarre’s Amazônia. It’s a pure joy to play this kind of album on the Eggs. I had the pleasure to visit the exhibition at the Philarmonie de Paris last year, but I hadn’t the same feeling, even with a dedicated installation. So immersive experience ! Those Eggs are perfect for ambient stuff.

3 Likes

Hah indeed, well as long as there is music playing and you aren’t just sitting listening to the speaker, it doesn’t seem to be a big issue.

You know I’ve never really listened to JMJ - enjoying this - certainly lots of the frequency range getting represented.

Tipper - Bubble Control and Spoonbill - Woodenspoon resolve amazingly - not my most favourite tracks but they have good frequency content.
Louis Armstrong really gave me the feeling that I was at the gig.
Had some quite sonically cerebral experiences - they can almost be a bit overwhelming on certain pieces of music.

3 Likes

Got my EGG150’s this morning and have set them up.

Obviously it takes time to adjust your ears to new speakers… but my initial thoughts were that they were a bit underwhelming and narrow sounding compared to my Adam A77x’s… then I realised that I had the ‘mono’ switch active on my mixer.
Taking that off makes all the difference. :grinning:

Liking them so far, they’re very revealing… I’m hearing things in upper mids that I haven’t really noticed before in songs that I know really well.

I’ll wait until I’ve had decent time with them before fully passing judgement… but, I’m also really liking going back to having a separate amp, there’s something that feels nicer/more natural about it that I’d forgot about.

6 Likes

I have also seen that exhibition and loved the music!
I received the Eggs last week and focused on listening to more punchy mixes as I was quite surprised by their transients response. But I’ll definitely go through more ambient stuff (which is what I mainly listen to anyway) and this is an excellent reminder, thanks!

2 Likes

Lol something similar happened to me when I got my Dynaudio Airs…plugged them in, set everything up, turned on the Apollo 8, hit play on one of my reference tracks and…boom, it all just sounded really bad…boxy, no low end just bad…it took my a whole 3-4min to realise that the ALT switch was turned on on the interface and the sound was in fact coming from my MixCube lol :joy:

The speakers have been opening up for me since I got them. 1-2 days of break-in time made a big difference to the transients and the highs, since then they seem to open up more and more as I use them more. Stereo imaging is unreal on these paired with the detail and separation. Definitely worth spending some time with them before you make up your mind.

Congrats on getting them, I’m really happy for everyone on this thread!

5 Likes

4 Likes

Lol, they made me think of the chair in clockwork orange.

so to clarify so far, is it that only two of you who’ve gotten your eggs hear the ‘noise’ when everything is at zero and nothing connected, or are more of you experiencing this?

I’ve read some posts about this issue on GS as well. It could be a design flaw. What bothers me is Munro doesn’t answer at all. I wonder if it could be related to the main tension. I’m in France, so it’s 230V here.