Mutable Instruments Beads

Mattech modular have a batch of beads arriving , I presume more stock is hitting other stores and prices will return to normal

Has anyone run line levels into Beads? Curious if anyone has experience with its auto-gain in this context. Wondering if I need a preamp module like the Joranalogue Receive 2 but wouldn’t mind saving the money and space if the results are clean enough without.

I cancelled my Beads preorder a couple months ago but am on the list again :grimacing:

1 Like

It works nicely with just about anything, level-wise.

1 Like

Awesome. Considering it will be for occasional mangling it doesn’t need to be pristine quality, so that sounds good to me.

1 Like

I ran my guitar into Beads, but used the Doepfer A-119 module to balance the levels

8 Likes

Does anyone here have a Beads and a Blackbox? If so, would you mind running your Beads directly into your Blackbox and telling me what you hear? (Be sure to engage the granular engine, try an onboard wavetable drone, etc.)

Like a great Odyssey, a long and eventful of adventurous journey. This is how I feel my music career :sunglasses: And it can also be applied to the building of a modular synth.
I recently added a Mutable Instruments Beads (which is really the main character on this video) and a 1010 Music Bitbox Micro to play samples. I am happy with both. Beads is really fun to play and a little wild, you cannot easily tame the beast!

3 Likes

Running Sub Great Bass recorder into Rings, into Beads, and Digitone is there too :wink:

5 Likes

beads or clouds, I honestly can’t decide which would be a better pick.

My reasoning, plenty of clouds clones, no beads clones, so beads might be the better pick?

I know you shouldn’t buy gear based on what it will be worth in a few years but which of the two will see a bigger price increase on the used market?

The code for Beads hasn’t been released yet, when it is you can be sure many clones will pop up.

aah is that how it works

Yeah, the company (Mutable Instruments) has always released their modules’ code once the return on investment in R&D was done. Clouds was released in 2014, so there has been plenty of time for the cloners to do their thing, whereas Beads was released in 2021, it’s their last module, so the code is still not available yet.

I’m pretty sure some companies have already retro engineered the hardware side and are just waiting for the code to be released to finish their reproductions.

Don’t take it as an indicator in popularity, Clouds was also discontinued very early on in its life cycle comparated to other modules, which made it an almost mythical module and for a long time, the clones were the only versions available as new, so they multiplied like for no other modules.

3 Likes

5 studies about darkness - you hear the bass recorder through the Sennheiser mic, but also the inbuild’s mic processed through 2x Rings, 2x Beads and Neutron (in various configurations and musical ideas). On Sylvia’s channel, leave her a sub! Enjoy :wink:

6 Likes