Mutable Instruments Beads

So it’s better at the other superficial stuff apart from the actual clouds bit, which was my whole point on why wasn’t it a firmware update.

I always assumed if the hardware was updated, it was because a firmware update could not do the desired job.

I’ve made wrong assumptions before. Many times. heh.

The beauty of open-source software is if you think you can do better than the original author(s), you do a git clone or whatever to get your copy, then do your own software update, then… profit!!!

1 Like

Beads is Clouds v2 , as far as Ive seen and heard - it does what we expect of that…
its better quality, smaller footprint, larger buffer - updated to use features found in other MI modules (attenuators on cv inputs) … it also has some new features like reversed grain playback/shaping.
it uses newer more powerful hardware to do this (the STM32F7).

seems like a worthy upgrade to me…
(just having attenunators is a huge thing for me)

I also think like plaits (vs braids) having a more focused approach is a good thing, its not always about counting features, as being good at its main purpose.
( of course, I get that some also prefer Braids over Plaits - thats ok, we all can have different opinions)

mine will arrive tommorow, and Im very excited to have a clouds back in my rack.

7 Likes

Feels like a fairly different module to me. Obviously familiar elements, but a definite upgrade. I don’t really care if it’s hardware or firmware, but it sounds great.
And if Emilie says it’s been redesigned from the ground up, I’d have no reason to disbelieve it.
Only just got it today, but it seems to have fixed the things that bugged me most about Clouds. Sound quality and the pitch tracking being 2 of the key ones for me.

Dude just buy it already :rofl:

3 Likes

Nah :blush: I’ve cooled down now. Plenty happy with what I got.

5 Likes

Can someone test something. Set a sync clock to the Seed input and put it in to beat repeat mode - Size = fully clockwise.

I’m getting bad clicks from the sync input.

1 Like

Yeeeaaaahhh is this the same thing? Id noticed it earlier but that maybe it was my settings…perhaps not.

It’s like a sample which isn’t zero crossed. A regular click sound in time with the sync. It isn’t the sample. It isn’t the shape. It goes when I remove the external sead sync.

I can hear it on your audio sample around 21 seconds in.

1 Like

I’ll post on the Mutable board. Emilie is there often.

just done it myself. thanks anyway.

…less HP :slight_smile:

so mighty the goes out of the frame jejejejeje

6 Likes

That’s what bring me in modular, 2 weeks ago. Find filters, modulations and EG.

1 Like

so far this is [for me] the best vid with Beads. the one @blushresponse posted.
all the rest so far…oh boi :thinking: :grimacing:

1 Like

Chase Bliss MOODS can cover some of the more common „texture synthesizer“ ground. Or VCV rack with the soft Clouds, or on iPad Samplr and so much More.

I haven’t heard a demo I didn’t like yet, but after that Techniques that make you go Meh thread, i do understand that some folks have radically different tastes than mine.

I"m still working on my acid-laden masterpiece with tons of sweeping filter resonance all over the place.

4 Likes

It’s awesome that this module has striked up so much attention and pushing people towards making the jump. With that said…I recommend checking out VCV rack first so that you can get a feel for whether or not you’re ready. Or, have a better sense as to what direction you want to head. I didnt have the opportunity to use VCV before taking the plunge as it had not been released yet so my first case consisted of a bunch of great modules, that I couldn’t do much with as I didn’t poses a good amount of the modules that provide the most powerful aspect of synthesis and eurorack, modulators. Often people getting into Euro quickly buy all the more popular modules, which is great, but they usually can’t be fully used to their capabilities without things like lfos, clock sources, envelopes, sample and holds, quantizers, sequencers, slews, logics, vcas, noise, mults, and of course random generators. These modules are what get me excited these days, simply because they open up so many wonderful opportunities. So, for the sake of minimalizing regret and frustration, and to save your bank account from ruin, go download VCV rack and get lost. Oh and don’t buy Beads so I can grab one, suckers!

2 Likes

Is it a fair assumption to suppose that, across the MI line, a fair proportion of those needs and capabilities are thought of and provided for, such that should one create a system of MI modules, they would have a rather complete and feature-rich setup?

1 Like