My brother and I released an Album today! (Trip-hop/downtempo)

Big day for me today. Album release. I spent quite some time with these tracks, and it took us some years to release them. Hope some of you will enjoy them as much as I do.
Highly influenced by late 90s/early 2000s Ninja tune and Mo’Wax heroes.

23 Likes

I dig this. I can definitely hear the Mo’ Wax influence. Used to listen to a lot of their stuff during my “formative years” and I have a semi complete vinyl collection of James Lavelle’s first 50 or so releases. Care to share a bit about what tools were used? Surprisingly enough, my 11 year old daughter is totally into this tune as well, which may not be a compliment, considering all the crap she usually listens to :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you very much Hans and thanks Hans’ daughter :slight_smile:

I hope it’s clear that this link is not only one song but the whole album. I wish I could embed the video here better, so that the whole tracklist is visible.
About the tools:
This album started shortly after our first album was finished, so around 2013. It took us so long, cause job and studies happened to us :wink:
The writing was all done in Live and Logic. My brother played bass, guitars, Violin, Piano. I played bass, guitars, lot’s of Kontakt instruments like Rhodes, glockenspiel, mellotron flutes, some strings to layer his violins, Double bass, brass sounds etc.
Synths mostly the microkorg, cause i bought it as my first hardware synth at that time. On 2 tracks a Nord lead 2 and on one track a microbrute.
For some tracks I sampled Film Noir sound, cause I was heavily into Amon tobin at that time, and I read he often used such samples :slight_smile:
Drums were mostly chopped breakbeats. And I had a maschine micro, so I did some finger drumming. And the logic drummer is active on two tracks. There are several chopped vocal phrases. I just sampled some random internet acapella stuff.

Before I discovered my love for synths I really was a lot into sampling and sample based music. 90s Rap, trip-hop. Shadow, Tobin, Bonobo, Four tet, Portishead… Still love this stuff. Always come back :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HELL YES! This takes me back to Amon’s Permutation days. You into Xploding Plastix? Thanks for sharing! Holler if you ever want some saxophone samples!

2 Likes

wow it has been a minute since ive heard Xploding Plastix mentioned. Amateur Girlfriends Go Proskirt Agents is a great album.

2 Likes

I listen to the %^&*#(% out of that record!

1 Like

One of my favorite albums. Permutation, Supermodified, Out from outwhere, foley room are all so crazy good.

Not yet. Thanks for the recommendation

1 Like

its a shame the LP is now like $78 on discogs

Funnybones & lazylegs :ok_hand:

1 Like

Oh man! I forgot how excellent this album is!

Excellent stuff! May many people listen to it

1 Like

Thanks man!!

Very smooth and rich compositions!

I have to say I’m not normally a fan of acoustic guitar in this sort of music but it fits so well. The sound of the guitar is really nice as well, how was it tracked and processed?

Thank you!

May I ask why? :slight_smile:

Acoustic guitars were simply recorded with a Rode NT1. On the track 3B’s it’s recorded with the microphone of a 2011 macbook pro :joy: My brother had no mic and recorded it as demo. But we liked his performance and the sound of it, so we kept it like that.
Most of the time I used Wave’s CLA guitar plugin to mix the guitar. I think it’s very simple with this plugin to get a nice acoustic guitar sound

1 Like

Acoustic sometimes seems to me to not fit in music that’s got a lot of synths and samples in it. (I say this both as an acoustic guitar player and a synth player.) But in this case you’ve created a perfect compositional mood for the acoustic guitar to sit in—and the acoustic playing is really great. The arpeggios on “Old days” are really top notch. The guitar sits nicely in the mix too.

2 Likes

yeah i forgot to add that i really enjoyed listening to this Attune record. definitely evokes the best qualities of the early amon tobin records, particularly in the instrumentation and choice of samples. great use of tension/release as well.

1 Like

I see. But I’m happy that you like it. Thanks for the nice feedback

That’s a huge compliment for me, thank you. As I said early Amon is certainly a role model.

I had it on repeat while hanging and making dinner last night. Again, great work, sirs!

2 Likes

Thank you so much again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great stuff! :male_detective:

2 Likes