My macbook pro16 i7 heats up 80-90 degrees from overbridge which haunts me

yes I understand ! but unfortunately it didn’t change the situation :frowning:

sadly, making this fake album cover for eduard’s non-existent screamo band may be the most rewarding thing I do today.

4 Likes

Intel macbooks are HOT as hell, my 13" 2019 i7 did not go to that temp from OB only but when I used it with Ableton and other stuff it did.

I can say for sure that if you use external monitor - this could add to the problem.

other things to try:

• try switching between AU / VST / VST3
  • try standalone OB app
  • try not to monitor individual tracks but only the master

maybe you can narrow it down, but imo it’s just the way it is with the Intel macs…

btw I think I have the same USB hub as yours and you should have a micro usb input for power, try powering it!

1 Like

My work laptop was a 16" 2019 one and the fan would kick in if I as much as looked at it. And it throttled like mad in summer.
Luckily I got an M2 last week and it’s been amazing.

2 Likes

Had same issue with 16’’ MPB i9, it was not only while using OB, but also randomly when doing other stuff. While researching around the web it turns out that normal heat level for Intel Macs is high (if I remember correctly in normal usage it is around 60-70 deg celsius) , and when you push it a bit it can go to up to 90+ deg celsius.

In the end I sold that machine and bought a lower spec 13’’ M1 16GB, and it is working as a charm. If this is an option for you, you can check around and maybe do the transition. People even successfully moved to Air M1 machines and haven’t noticed any issues while working with DAW/VSTs.

The first thing that I noticed on M1 is how cold the laptop is in normal usage.

Also I know that Apple released more machines/processors since M1, but I’m out of the loop, so maybe there is something that is more bang for the buck now. I have a two friends who are supper happy with Studio machines, if mobility is not that important for you.

ahah gorgeous!

1 Like

Thank you ! Yes, I already understood, I thought it was a problem, it turned out to be the norm

TY! I felt calmer :slight_smile: I thought I was the only one with such a temperature. I’m thinking about changing to m1, I chose between air m1 and pro16 intel in this budget, I wanted a big screen and a full-fledged tool.

1 Like

I would guess there is something wrong on the Mac or the plugin ( Please no intel/mac ).
Here a photo of live 11 running on a 10 years old Xeon 1680v2 on win10 with 2xOB instance running.

It’s loaded at 11% in average on core, and 25% on the most loaded CPU core.
Spec wise, it’s quite similar in perf as a Ryzen 2700x (2018) for ease of understanding.

CPU run quite cool at 52 degree celsius.