My macbook pro16 i7 heats up 80-90 degrees from overbridge which haunts me

I’m a recent macbook user and would like to know if it’s normal for my macbook to get warm from 2 digitone/digitakt plugins in ableton. Although the processor is not loaded, both in the indicator in Ableton and in monitoring. I just want to know if this is ok?? annoying that it’s so noisy.
it seems i need to change it to m1

I can’t say if that degree of temp increase is completely normal or not but you should at minimum consider a cooling stand, they range from cheap to macbook pricerange.

1 Like

thanks, I just think that the overbridge is not so consuming that it would heat up like that

Which generation MacBook is it? What is the processor type? (Apple menu -> About this Mac…)

Many Macs warm up when they’re charging the battery; if the battery is at full charge, it would (in theory) stay cooler.

Also, some USB-C MacBook generations are famous for getting hot if the charger is plugged into the left side or right side. I don’t have the specific details, but try plugging your charger into the opposite side from where you currently have it.

Also: how are you connecting the Digitone/Digitakt? Are they going through a USB hub? Is that USB hub powered (meaning: does it have its own power supply that connects to the wall)?

1 Like

It’s a MBP 16" with Intel CPU? Then it’s normal, unfortunately. Newer MBPs with M1/M2 CPU are much quieter, usually without noticeable fan noise.

4 Likes

via google:
Macbook Pro 16 heating problem

One of the biggest reasons for your MacBook Pro heating up is because you have kept a lot of tabs in your browser open. Internet browsers can put a lot of strain on your laptop’s CPU and forces the fans to work harder to keep the temperature around the CPU down. This causes the MacBook Pro heating issue quite often.Jan 29, 2022

1 Like

The corresponding thread at Apple Discussions has over 4200 postings. There are some tips there that have helped some users a bit. But not all users.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250878229

There seems to be still no statement from Apple and no fix. I almost bought the MBP back then and fortunately became aware of the problem shortly before the purchase.

2 Likes

2019 i7
I close absolutely everything except Ableton, my charge is 100%.
in the DT settings I have overbridge, or do you mean what kind of wires do I use ??
TY

The most effective way to reduce fan noise seems to be closed-lid operation with an external screen.

1 Like

Hi @Eduard — yes, I was just asking how you connect the two Elektron devices to the computer. Through a USB hub, yes? If so, also asking if that USB hub has its own power supply that connects to the wall.

As @krunchr mentions, fan noise and heating with this model is a well-known issue and different people have solved it in different ways, and some have not solved it.

Some people thought it might be related to a heat sensor on the left (or right) side of the computer, over-reacting when the charger is connected, and perhaps also when USB peripherals are connected. You can try plugging the charger into the opposite side of the computer (left to right, or right to left) and also try connecting the Digis to the other side of the computer than the charger (so the charger is on one side, and the Digis are on the other). I have no guarantee this will help, but it is worth trying. Also, if you use a USB hub and it does not have its own power supply, try using one that has its own power supply.

Some people also found that using some “dock” peripherals (which have HDMI connectors, USB connectors, etc.) could cause these heating issues (and even caused increased CPU load strangely). Getting rid of the “dock” peripheral, or using a different brand, helped those folks…

It’s been a few years since I worked in this field so Apple may have fixed the above with a firmware update…

1 Like

As I understand it, I have this one “in the photo”, but there are 2 more separate usb-c - type b cables, and now I’ll try to connect them!

It’s normal for an Intel MacBook to get warm. No matter what you do. Even if you’re carrying it in the backpack.

1 Like

Lol :slight_smile:

incidentally the thread title My macbook pro16 i7 heats up 80-90 degrees from overbridge which haunts me sounds vaguely like the title of an indy screamo album, one of those one’s written in some kind of fancy cursive over the backdrop of a gritty black and white photo of a rocky beach in soft focus

4 Likes

hahaha idea!

1 Like

Unfortunately, direct connection via type-c did not solve the problem. these almost 90 degrees are driving me crazy… you can turn it over and fry scrambled eggs!

Is it only happening with the Overbridge plugin?

Yes, it looks like your USB hub does not have its own power supply.

1 Like

You can say so, because for the test I launched 10 diva tracks into a record with chords, but it doesn’t heat up like that, if we talk about standard plug-ins of ableton, then even ventilators don’t spin.