Naming project/patterns: do you have a system?

Hello fellow elektronauts,

I am trying to figure out a workflow and naming system for my projects/patterns/sounds and external synth patches that will make sense when I come back to them later.

I watched Ehsan Gelsi’s video explaining his system and thinking about how I could adapt it to using an iPad and a Teenage Engineering OP-1.

Ideally project/pattern names should somehow relate to config/patch/preset names and track numbers on any external gear being used so one can re-create a setup later.

How do you document your setup/config ?
Do you have a naming system ? How does it work ? Any useful tips would be welcome.

1 Like

For the project, i try to name it as Year, Month, the Number of a Project in the month (very rare you do a project everyday) and some other number or name in case tons of inspiration hitting

For the Pattern, as you have (8 banks of 16 patterns), 128 patterns in total, i use to edit with the CAMELOT WHEEL style in mind (1B to 12B for Major Chords and 1A to 12A for Minor Chords, 24 tracks in total)

Each track is 4 patterns, black keys and the 2 below white keys (96 patterns in total) and you still have 32 free patterns to try out some ideas

Something like this
Project: 211201 Techno Grooves, or Melted Grooves, or Hip Hop, etc etc

Tracks and patterns (1 Track = 4 Patterns)

1B - B D# F#
1A - G# B D# / Abm
2B - F# A# C# / Gb
2A - D# F# A# / Ebm
3B - C# F G# / Db
3A - A# C# F / Bbm
4B - G# C D# / Ab
4A - F G# C
5B - D# G A# / Eb
5A - C D# G
6B - A# D F / Bb
6A - G A# D