New Mac Pro…? [Post-event answer : Nope]

The Mac Mini comes in at a similar price to the Mac Studio when you start adding bigger SSD and RAM specs. The M2 Pro is marginally faster than the M1 Max when it comes to CPU performance, but the GPU is more powerful due to increased cores in the Studio M1 Max. If you don’t bother with photography anymore, then the GPU is possibly a moot point.
Maybe they will release an M2 Max Studio soon - but I get the feeling that they won’t do this until 2024, when the M3 family has established itself.

I’ve been using a m1 Mac Mini for nearly a couple of years and it’s been a real trooper. I’d seriously consider a Mac Studio next time around (switch accent to Austrian) because it’s ticking all the boxes. For my use case any kind of Pro machine would likely be too big / expensive and spend most of its life under utilised.

…What a song and dance over a yellow iphone :thinking: Slow news week for Apple…

1 Like

don’t reckon most people with phones are that arsed about pro photography though

Well, nobody wants their pics looking like potato shots. People aren’t dumb, they know what is a good picture.

For example, you want your pic to look decent at low light. Night photography requires stabilisation and exceptional light sensitivity. Phone apertures are tiny, therefore incapable. That’s why developers find a way to use additional computing power to stabilise the picture while taking a little longer exposition in your shaky hand. The result – your drunk late night picture is comprehensible.

There are these small invisible things like this in phones everywhere, not only in camera app.

1 Like

Agreed. I have been shooting photos for years, and I love that If I don’t have a camera on me I can shoot with my phone. The IPhone 14 Max takes some great photos, and has some stellar technology behind it. It has a 48 megapixel sensor, and while it only shoots 48 megapixels in ideal light, it utilizes pixel clusters for all other photo’s and makes great looking low-light photos.

Since the phone has replaced most peoples cameras, this alone might be enough for someone to want to upgrade to it. iPhone makes it easy to get high quality photos.

fair enough. i just know that if i had iPhone 14 money kicking around right now, and needed a new phone, i’d spend £200 on a cheap android phone like the one i have and spend £800 on a synth :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I just spent £100 on a Google Pixel 5 to replace my OnePlus 6. The camera is light-years ahead, low-light is impressive too. Check out these (non-lpw-light) shots, which were touched up in Snapseed:

2 Likes

Well sure, if you don’t see the value in it, then don’t spend your money on it. Someone else might use that money for a vacation, or to buy 500 tacos, because that makes sense to them at that time.

It’s like saying, I have a Minilogue that works fine, why would I need a Prophet 5? Or I use plugins, why would I ever need hardware instruments? Everyone’s got different priorities.

1 Like

i was just enquiring as to what people are doing with their phones

1 Like

I have a Samsung phone for work and can confirm- takes better photos then my crApple iPhone

Sending nudes

1 Like

pretty sure you’re not allowed to do that

About those Samsung photos:

2 Likes

Every flagman phone starts from 600-700 and goes up to 2k depending on upgrades. Be it Apple, Samsung, Google and so on. Cheap ones are either 2-3 year old hardware, cut corners or stolen tech by Chinese companies.

There is so much sophisticated tech in these phones that practically most high end laptops can’t compete. Because as I said, computers are computers, while phones are all of these things at once:

• Phones with multi-band antennas with speeds exceeding some midrange wi-fi routers.
  • Pocket computers able to handle same files as actual computers. Imagine the thermal load on such tiny device.
  • High quality, high DPS touchscreen displays with resolutions and refresh rates exceeding most popular standard desktop resolutions. This requires a lot of GPU power.
  • GPS devices with complex location detection algorithms besides a satellite antenna. Nobody uses regular SatNavs anymore.
  • Most advanced photo cameras around with best processing capabilities ever created.
  • Most advanced video cameras with 4K capture that are more reliable than average action cam.
  • Wi-fi routers with speeds seen only in high-end routers.
  • Gaming devices with better hardware than Nintendo Switch.

And probably more. Now buy all of these devices separately and let’s see how much you need to spend.

3 Likes

true, it used to be that most expensive android phones were much cheaper then the iphones but that’s no longer the case, the top android models are now even and some probably cost even more the iphones. tablets as well.

also the decision about switching the macs to ARM came from iphones/ipads, apple saw the potential in ARM architecture and heat management because they’ve spent years optimizing it on iphones/ipads.

also, you absolutely don’t have to buy new iphone every year, they hold up 5 years easily unless you destroy them by breaking the case, also the latest models are waterproof so no more worries about dropping it into the toilet or something.

also there’s always the SE version which is relatively cheap without cutting corners and will hold years of usage.

2 Likes