New Mac Pro…? [Post-event answer : Nope]

I just saw this on the Apple Store - perhaps this is for the new Mac Pro Apple Silicon update that concludes the journey to move away from Intel……for now.

We’ll soon know at 1pm GMT.

yellow iphone

7 Likes

Oh, is that it. I thought that was old news already…? Would they shut the entire store down for a new coloured iPhone :man_shrugging:t2:

I was getting excited there for a moment :joy:

1 Like

Wait, did you say YELLOW!!!

…said no one ever.

6 Likes

I reckon it’s a folding desk.

6 Likes

I hope so.

iDesk.

The folding desk.

1 Like

Now I’ll have to return my TE desk. Just remortgaged my house to get it too.

And I thought IKEA was expensive.

4 Likes

It could be the new Apple ‘iKEA’

I think it’s the yellow phone as just saw it on another page on their site.

Booo. Booooring.

2 Likes

I don’t keep track of this stuff, in terms of their products, but the new page is live and I’d like to voice my hatred for horizontal scrolling interfaces.

3 Likes

You can have it in ‘deep purple’ too

3 Likes

Usb and Bluetooth enabled pencil sharpener.
With all new operating system that needs a day 1 update .

Will only sharpen apple pencils due to heavy security protection … subscription service.
Comes in pastel colours

Additional cases £20 each

4 Likes

“Whoa-level pics”
“(Phew.)”
“LOOOONG battery”
“Superspeedy 5G”

They’re trying to get children buy more 1000€ iPhones I reckon.

So done with :green_apple: these days

3 Likes

i love technology but i can’t get my head around phones that cost more than many laptops. what are people doing with their phones that requires all this computing power? i just send texts, surf a few websites, take photos and listen to music. what’s going on? i feel so old

5 Likes

probably filters or other video related stuff for tiktok/insta etc
it’s crazy what I run into occasionally on reddit, people edit themselves beyond recognition

There’s a lot of processes happening in the background. Much more than you expect.

Also, good example. You want to take pics with your phone. You want the pics to look to good. Remember how awful they were 10-15 years ago? So, yeah, manufacturers managed to squeeze in a full blown professional camera into that tiny thing. You know how expensive cameras are, right? Here’s your answer.

1 Like

I clicked on this thread thinking I’d find a discussion of who might be interested in getting a Mac Pro when they come out at some point this year. I think that’s a worthy discussion.

I have a “Trashcan” Mac Pro that has been maybe the best computer purchase of my life. It is quiet, creates no detectable signal noise or hum, and has been “bulletproof” in reliability and expandability (at one point, I counted 21 peripherals connected simultaneously without a hiccup). I bought it right when it came out, so it is now almost 10 years old. I would have no intent to replace it anytime soon, except last year, Apple stopped supporting it for OS updates (I am not complaining, just stating a fact). I still plan to keep it for another year or two, but will likely replace it within that kind of time frame. When I do, I may opt for the Mac Studio but will keep an eye on the Mac Pro too. Anyone else considering a Mac Pro?

2 Likes

Hey, hope you’re well. I think the Mac Pro will be announced later this month, but I don’t think I need an Ultra Studio or Mac Pro XXX for my needs, so I just recently ordered a Mac Mini M2 Pro to replace my 4 year old Hackintosh/PC and it should arrive next week.
I’ve seen how effective even the basic M1 Mac Mini is with music projects, so I feel confident that a Mac Studio or just a basic M2 Mac Mini would be more than sufficient for any music production tasks. Apart from graphic performance on video projects, the only thing the Studio or M2 Pro have over the base M2 is the number of ports available, which is why I opted for the Pro - I’ve seen the benchmarks and Logic Pro stress tests and I’m well impressed. Have a look at this video if you’ve not already seen it:

2 Likes

after having the studio for ~3 months I cannot imagine why would anyone would need the Mac Pro except for raw numbers of cpu/gpu cores and loads of ram and storage.

the efficiency of the ARM processors is off the charts, it’s so impressive and energy efficient it blows my mind every time.

I mean, what can they offer in a larger case that would be much better then the studio? the processors will be the same, gpu’s as well, it’s just probably going to be cores amount / ram / storage amounts.

if you don’t need >128GB ram and >8TB on-chip storage there’s absolutely no reason to wait for the Mac Pro, the Studio is holyfcking sht great with the cpu/gpu cores it has at the moment.

IMO they will find a way to improve the Ultra to have a single cpu with like 128 cores or something without the need to fuse 2/4 cpu’s together to keep the cores count, but imo it’s irrelevant, it’s so good as is that the need for more power then offered is marginal, like for people who edit 16 hours of 8k videos or rendering crazy 3d rendering projects and stuff like that.

1 Like

Thanks. You raise really good points in favor of the Mac mini. I hadn’t really considered that alternative. When I bought the Mac Pro, I was using it for both Music and Photography. I’ve since lost my interest in photography (now that my iPhone can take pictures that are 80% as good as my Nikon D850 in most scenarios and requires basically zero editing).

2 Likes