New MOTU Ultralite MK5 announced!

Can you guys recommend the MK5?

I’m currently thinking of getting the MK5 (mixing without computer) or go with the Focurite 18i20 (+ some addons since it’s cheaper ;-))

Thanks!

The UL MK5 is great! Highly recommended. Excellent converters, low noise, compact.

If not using a laptop I think you’ll at least need an iPad to mix though. Only levels from channels 1 and 2 can be changed from the unit in stand alone.

2 Likes

I remember reading somewhere that the order in which you connect and start camera app matters.

Great. Thanks :pray: (will try it with my iPad Pro :+1:)

Oh CueMix 5 is still a WebApp (packaged with Electron).

If you like Javascript and/or want to “automate” some things take a closer look inside the App-Bundle (or just search for *.js … looks like they forgot something :wink:)

Is anyone using the MK4 with an M1 Mac? It’s not completely clear if the driver support they added will make this work. I’d prefer not to “upgrade” to the Mk5, since some routing features have been removed.

Mk4 is class compliant

MK4 is class compliant in class compliant mode. The device loses many features in class compliant mode. I want to use the device with its full feature-set(routing/mixing via the internal webapp, which requires the driver to run on the machine).

RTFM??!?!?!?!

Thank you.

webpage :wink:
That was updated June 8, so if you were looking before that

I have an 828es. I really wish that software was midi controllable.

1 Like

Quick question for mk5 users: are any of you experiencing low headphone output? I am finding that if my mix in Live is between -12 db and 0 db, CueMix tells me that the Main and Phones outputs are registering at - 48 db. As a consequence, my headphone volume (the headphone trim that is adjusted using the headphones knob) is at 0 db. These setting don’t seem right.

Any thoughts? I would rather resolve here than have to reach out to MOTU…

Thanks in advance!

Yea something seems off to me? I have CueMix open, and if I turn the physical volume down on the unit (the phones mix) the software will reflect the change on the output page. 0 db is a pretty loud outout to my phones.

1 Like

What happens when you play audio back in your DAW - what levels do the Main and Phones meters register in CueMix?

Ableton is outputting -12 to 0 range and the meters on the ‘main 1-2 mix’ and ‘phones 1-2 mix’ match the output from Ableton.

1 Like

Is it possible you have the ‘computer usb main 1-2’ fader turned down? its on the far right of the main and phones mix pages.

1 Like

I will double check this evening. I believe i checked it, but i cant swear to it.

1 Like

Hey mk5 owners:
Currently I’m using Motu UltraLite mk3 and I’m wondering about upgrading to mk5. With mk3 I’m disturbed by poor headphones amp and the fact that I need use external amp to drive my DT-770 250 ohm properly. Will mk5 do better? On the other hand a huge value of mk3 for me is the possibility to control it without laptop running. What are the pros and cons of such upgrade? Is mk5 lacking any crucial features of mk3 or is it overall an improvement in the studio?

Can any users tell me if you can control the monitoring (even global monitoring on/off) from the front panel?

Yes, you can. The front panel has a control for monitor/headphone volume.

2 Likes