New MOTU Ultralite MK5 announced!

I don’t see ROUTING TAB anywhere in the MK5 manual. Is it still possible to use external effects with CueMix?

I haven’t explored this yet, but a strategy could be using one of the line mix busses (e.g. line mix out 3/4) to the external FX inputs and route their outs back into one of the MK5 available inputs. You will then need to adjust the channels fader in the chosen mix bus

I have an 828mk2 FW and an UL mk3 Hybrid. On both it’s quite clunky with that small screen but in a pinch there’s access to all, which is cool. I’ve been using them as set-and-forget stand-alone mixers. The 828mk2 is a bit easier to operate than the UL mk3, I found. IIRC it has an easier way to access input channel mix levels without menu diving.

First hand reports much appreciated in this thread. It’s crazy to me how the UC is still such a viable option after remaining on the market for 12 years. I guess the Babyface is the modern thing but many still prefer an all in one compact box with a decent amount of IO. Hopefully the MK5 shapes up, appreciate people sharing their experiences on this so far… but maybe the UC is still the best thing going on the market?

Funny you mention this, RME just announced a UCX 2. It looks gorgeous and has DC coupled outputs.

2 Likes

no way

Yessssss

it looks insane

it’s a standalone recorder also :open_mouth:

RME is also 3x the price

1 Like

Well, the 828 is in my past and I’m not going back.

It would be nice if the Mk5 standalone UI experience is an improvement over your UL mk3’s. However, let’s be honest, I’d want to use CueMix a lot more than the Mk5 standalone. The posts here seem to indicate CueMix is buggy/unstable with the Mk5 so far. The posts about MOTU’s customer service are also discouraging.

1 Like

oh, i should correct myself.

MOTU has indeed updated driver support for AVB era interfaces to work with MacOS 11.2+

My mistake!

1 Like

Oof… The day after I order a UC…

USB drive recording, DC coupled line outs, front panel operation, class compliant. That might actually be worth the price markup for me.

Not if you live in the EU. Then the price is about 1100 - 1200 Euro for the RME UCX 2. Still more expensive, but not tripple the price.

Edit: the Ultralite Mk5 is about 750 Euros in the EU

1 Like

where is the ucxII available at?

At July :wink:

Pre order : RME Fireface UCX II | Music and More Store, Leipzig

1 Like

UL mk5 has more outputs tho.

I need 9 or more jack outs for my setup.

Still on fence whether to upgrade my mk3 for a mk5 UL

It does - I guess the RME UCX II is not for you then :slight_smile:

I wonder if RME have other upgrades planned for say the RME Fireface 802 perhaps?

1 Like

I saw some complaints about lack of routing matrix in the Mk5. I don’t think lack of that matrix affects my intended usage though. Example:

Line 1-2 ins: Matriarch
Line 3-4 ins: MC-101
Line 5-6 ins: Octatrack
Line 7-8 ins: Zoia

Line 3-4 outs: Octatrack
Line 5-6 outs: Zoia
Line 7-8 outs: HX Stomp XL

If I understand the CueMix5 video below (already posted by the OP, reposted here for convenience), I can set up Line 3-4 mix (out to the OT) with Matriarch levels up and all other inputs down If I want to feed just Matriarch into OT. Similarly, Line 5-6 mix could be set up with MC-101 levels up, other inputs down to just run MC-101 into Zoia.

Or, I could set up Line 3-4 mix so that OT samples all the other inputs, including its own outs. There’s enough flexibility. I guess next I should research what the options are for adding more inputs if I also wanted to play guitar or violin live, because I realize in my example I took up all the analog inputs already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSWbuzE8Unc

2 Likes

It has been a while since I have read this thread, but, in case the issue hadn’t been clarified: it is possible to use Cue Mix to edit the mk5 settings via the iPad. I currently have my iPad Pro connected to the mk5 and changed some settings AOK. Hope that helps! Really nice to have the ability to do that on iOS! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Can any with an iPhone (12) and UL5 confirm that they are able to record video on iPhone with sound being fed from UL5. If possible this would be great for making music videos!

I can’t get it to work with my iPhone and Motu customer service was not helpful. Good luck.

1 Like