New MOTU Ultralite MK5 announced!

The manual is quite clear about it though…

THE CUEMIX 5 IOS APP CueMix 5 is also available as an app for iOS and allows you to control the UltraLite-mk5 from your iOS device. Simply download it from the App Store. Also see “iOS setup (USB-C)” on page 21 and “iOS setup (Lightning)” on page 22.

1 Like

It seems UltraLite mk5 has lost the ability to control cue mix from the front panel. It wasn’t a great joy to do on the mk3 but having the possibility when using it stand-alone could come in handy.

What’s also not clear from the manual is whether when you set cue mix up using a computer, then remove the computer and tun off the UltraLite, does it keep the mixer settings when you tun it on stand-alone (EQ, routings etc)?

I’m pretty sure it keeps the settings as long as you save it before you turn CueMix off on the computer. Just to make sure, I save the file then open it again while it’s hooked up to the computer, then I turn everything off.

2 Likes

Yes, it stores all “last used” settings

2 Likes

I have the mk5 and I am baffled too how much they stripped down some of the features implemented in earlier iterations. It looks like a different interface, more like a Ultralite-lite…

1 Like

It’s been clarified since then, but manual wasn’t posted when I had posted.
I do RTFM before posting here. :wink:

1 Like

This has me hesitating indeed. What else did you find is stripped off?

I’ve had problems getting it to work with my iPhone when using Voice Memos or Camera (when I want to do a quick video) whereas my DT and DN and op-z are recognized by those apps as class compliant interfaces immediately. Motu support was not helpful, at all.

1 Like

Not a big fan of the new CueMix compared to older versions. There is no intuitive way of resetting clipping alerts, grouping tracks in stereo pairs is cumbersome. There is also very, very, very annoying bug which prevents Cue Mix to be launched if the firmware check thinks the device is not connected, as the firmware control cannot be bypassed (this on Mac Os Mojave). The interface actually works and it can be used while this is happening, it’s just the Motu has not implemnted a firmware check bypass…Already reported to Motu, they said I am the only one experiencing this…

I cannot see why older Ultralites and my 15 years Traveler Mark 1 allowed me to to change the channel settings without using a computer, while the current doesn’t, particularly when CueMix occasionally fails to launch…

1 Like

Ya’ll are making me happy to stick to my UL MK4

Then again that means I gotta stick to 10.14/10.15

C’mon MOTU. I sang your praises for years.
Do better.

3 Likes

Thanks for your experiences folks. I went with RME Fireface UC this time. The Windows driver issues of my UL mk3 and the things you 're telling me here made me wanna check that RME reputation for myself. Still have my MOTU’s in case I need those DC coupled outputs…

2 Likes

Mine seems to clip usb audio out of the box on my iPad. Had to turn down the interface audio. Very annoying.

No midi control and no front of interface control without iOS or mac sucks. Not my best purchase.

They also said the same thing to me. My reply was “that’s impossible.” I’m not trying to trash talk MOTU but, this is my first experience with them and my feeling is, they’re just like a lot of companies these days: premature rollout of half-baked ideas and little to no documentation or practical examples. Apple pioneered this. It’s like everything has to be a mystery. I’m still within my return window.

Just sell it. You’ll only lose like 50$ as there are a ton of iOS only producers interested in them. Although that market just got a little tighter with the release of the iconnectivity Audio4c. Thought for sure when they abandoned the other models, they wouldn’t be redoing a new one.

1 Like

I was leaning towards selling my unopened Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 in favor of this MOTU, because the Mk5’s 10 outputs look promising for patchbay usage. That many outputs is just begging to be sent to various pedals and other external FX.

This thread is changing my mind.

@GovernorSilver To be honest the sound of the Motu ultralite MK5 is really good. I have a Scarlett 2nd gen 6i6 and there is no comparison in terms of pres, size and headphones out. Ok, the Mk5 has some glitches, but between the Scarlett and the Motu I would choose Motu again.

The reports posted about CueMix are a concern.

I never did get on well with my old MOTU 828MkII in standalone mode - too confusing. I ended up using CueMix all the time to manage audio routings, set levels, etc.

Stability of CueMix even when connected to computer is a concern.

Also, no reports yet of how well the IOS CueMix works, when I want to use the Mk5 standalone and have the iPad serve as mix controller. If it’s buggy seems like it might not be worth it.

I will give up “sounding better” for stability if i have to.

2 Likes

Immediately noticed the same when changing from the 6i6 to the MK5

1 Like

I have also an M4 which my partner is currently using and it’s absolutely on par with the ultralite MK5 but with better UI and direct access to monitoring.

1 Like

I hope its better than the Motu 828es. That thing take more time to boot then a 1998 PC so slow and the web app mixer app is buggy and clunky. I hate this sound card.