New MOTU Ultralite MK5 announced!

Hes referring to the question I asked.

1. does cuemix 5 locally control the interface from an ipad WITHOUT the interface being connected to a computer.
  2. can cuemix5 use an external control surface for control (unlike the AVB software mixer)

Gotcha, I think the answer to the first question is no. You have to be connected to a device to controll it from the cuemix app. There is no documentation or set up for wifi/bluetooth. However the iPad app is the full version as mac/windows from what I understand.

Then again, I don’t think there is any way to control cuemix 5 externally via midi or whatever.

I don’t think im phrasing correctly.

Previous cuemix app, when its on a computer, you open up the cuemix app and control it. If you used the same interface, but connected to an ios device (via usb), you cannot control cuemix from the ipad itself. The previous cue mix app was only to remote control the cuemix app on a desktop. Cuemix was unavailable in class compliant mode for iOS.

MK5 with cue mix5 app on iOS. NO computer. Can you open the cuemix5 app and control the interface.

Literally 100 people with the mk5 and no one can plug it into their phone/ipad, open up cuemix5 and say “yep, i can control the interface” or “nope, still a remote control for the desktop app”. This goes for everyone at sweetwater and other shops.

It cant be THAT hard to confirm this. I downloaded the app, but theres just a splash screen with a field for an IP address, which doesn’t look too promising.

Again, no one sells them here locally. And I’d just buy one and try it out for 2 minutes to see if this is the case, but its like 70$ shipping just to return it from where I live in the middle of the pacific ocean.

Sorry about that, I understand what you are asking now. Unfortunately I don’t have an iPhone, Hopefully someone can test it out for you

what operating system are you using it with and are you running the cuemix software too?

I’m on Mojave. And the 828es doesn’t use Cue Mix. It’s got Discovery.

I mean for your ultralite mk1?

Hey, the CueMix5 app on the iPad can directly control the UL while plugged in and simultaneously I can use AUM or Cubasis or whatever. It does not need to be plugged into a PC or Mac. I did however have to update the firmware via PC when I first received it for it to communicate with CueMix. It did play as a USB device before the firmware update. Hopefully now that it communicates any future firmware will be available via iOS.

4 Likes

If you really, really need more substantial proof you can IM me your email and I’ll send you a video.

1 Like

Also, the CueMix UI works out way better on iPad than iPhone due to the real estate obviously. iPhone use works but kinda’ was not awesome.

I actually dont use Cue Mix with the MK1. the old Cue Mix kinda sucked.
so I deleted the stuff I don’t use with that one.

the MK1, tho awesome and still werks, is on the FRINGE of werking. the audio setup apps you need to install for it, since Mac when 64bit, throw up a warning that the units might not install. I tried it anyways and it WERKED! so its SUPER old, and still werks great, tho it really shouldn’t cuz its “out of date”. I just use it if I need some extra ins but kept it to use as outs to my Modular…sending Blocks or VCV CV to my rack.

im just stoked it’s still relevant. sorry about all the useless extra info, just wanted to give some context. my main I/O is MOTU 828es

1 Like

Haha, I have a MK1 too that I got at a Goodwill(thrift store) for $12. I keep it around to use with old Macs.

you can use up to Mojave at least. that’s where I’m at. werks :+1:t6: :+1:t6: :+1:t6:

when I get an M1X Mac ill report back on status of MK1 use :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for all of that confirmation! I’d be using it on iPads anyway.
Currently I’m running 48 channels of iPads through an 828, but I have to use another iPad connected to an adhoc wifi network to use its mixer/software, which kinda blows.

Yeah, that’s pretty lame. Also, the iOS functionality really has been pretty poorly demonstrated by MOTU.

1 Like

The AVB thing does have its benefits, but the browser based thing does suck. I don’t have a computer in my studio or live rig.
But for mixdown, it is nice to dump all 48 tracks into logic over an Ethernet cable.

but you can save a ton of preset configs you can recall from the face. and will travel cuz its all in the MOTU box. you just use the app to make the configs. its super slick

I know. But I’ve been trying to go mixerless. And touchscreen mixing over wireless……meh.
And I never know where in the venue I’m gonna get shoved and get some interference.

im not sure what yer after then. going mixerless with yer I/O, with no computer? :confused:

what are you trying to do?

disregard what im asking…you do what you wanna do. I\m not going to involve myself any further

I’m using the MOTU software mixer the same way as you would use your mackie 1604 live.

I took the COVID shutdown time to slim down my live rig, because what I thought would happen has come to pass.
As things are reopening, people are paying talent much less, and the budget to fly gear, or put weird shit on riders is just not in promoters budgets due to their capacity being reduced by 50-70%

Also don’t use a computer. Co outer is only there to track everything into logic and send that file to someone else for mixdown. Recording/mixdown is by far the worst part of the job.