New MOTU Ultralite MK5 announced!

I’m still using my Ultralite MK1 I got many MANY moons ago.

2 Likes

Just got UL Mk5. Is it normal that I should have to turn line inputs up full to +20db on Cuemix to sufficiently hear whilst music is playing from iPad radio app or Apple music?

Streaming and commercial music are mastered and loudness maximized. Are you coming in on the line ins so hot that it should match?

Ie. it s hard to answer this without details on what s going into the line ins.

2 Likes

I’ve got Yamaha Reface DX, Digitone and TR8s all going into UL mk 5 as stereo lines. Volumes on DX, DG and TR8s devices are on max. With Cuemix input gains on zero : Digitone is maxing at around -30db, TR8s around -5db and Digitone around -12db. Adding any more than 6db gain in Cuemix introduces noise.

When I play music on the iPad, I can’t play along because the iPad is (as u said) playing mastered tunes that peak at 0db. I can’t see a way to turn down the iPad. Volume buttons don’t work once connected to iPad.

I’ve also noticed that levels are showing on mic input even though nothing is plugged into there (see pic).

How is the iPad connected to the UltraLite?

Were you using another interface (or mixer) before the motu that you could check the levels on?

I don t know any of your synths first hand but i do know that on elektron devices there are many different points in the signal path where gain can be affected, before hitting the main volume control. Are you positive they are outputting at max?

But in any case you don t want to play on top of a signal that is already maxed at 0db. Adding on top of that will clip your output over 0db. So you ll want to find a way to lower the streaming audio anyway.

2 Likes

Open up cuemix and got to the main 1-2 mix page. To the very far right there is a fader for ‘computer usb main 1-2’ you can turn down the volume of whatever is playing for your iPad here.

3 Likes

Does the new Ultralite not use the routing matrix [Discovery]?

iPad Air 4 is connected USB-C to USB-C.

Thanks everyone!

I’m not familiar with that, so probably not.

My Ultralite AVB used it

I’m checking…

Later: interesting. No Discovery. But the New Cue Mix looks really cool :+1:t6:

I’m still looking for 100% confirmation on this…

Does cuemix5 run natively on the ipad? Meaning you can control the ipad from it? Or is it still a remote control for the desktop version like the older Cuemix?
Also is this CueMix5 midi mappable? I have an AVB interface and it is not, which blows because I’ve been trying to go mixer-less in this setup.

I’d just buy one and try it out, but they arent available locally here and due to location, returning it sucks due to shipping costs.

I’m honestly so tired of asking the same simple question, still, after all this time, everywhere it comes up - and not getting a response - that I just stopped caring and moved on. This kind of information should not be literally impossible to get answered after multiple direct inquiries from multiple people.

The question I just asked?
You would think its be readily available on the motu website, or in shown in their CUeMix5 demo videos.

I even called sweetwater and asked them multiple times. Answers varied from “yes you can” to “no you cant” to “Let me look in to that for you. My name is Ed, can I get a callback number?”

No, this does not seem possible.

Kinda figured as much. Using a touchscreen via wifi in a gig setting for mixing isn the greatest (for my mixer-less setup). RME/total mix can from what i gather with some workj put in, but their larger interfaces aren’t class compliant, so thats out.

You would think, but since nobody is confirming, I have to assume the worst.

that or I just have an extremely odd use case, which wouldn’t surprise me.
Still fighting against going back to a mixer, but seems inevitable really.

What are you trying to figure out?