New MOTU Ultralite MK5 announced!

The FF UCX is essentially an updated FF UC with an additional FireWire port and a few other software tricks but it is also more expensive:

Prices taken from Thomann:

Motu Ultralite Mk5: 748 Euro’s
RME FireFace UC: 845 Euro’s
RME FireFace UCX: 1.099 Euro’s

I agree that the I/O layout on the UltraLite is better than the UC/UCX’s but having endured a year with unsolvable clicks I’m on the lookout for the best drivers out there.
My research so far is that Motu is ok, but not always (just look in this thread), but RME is renowned for having the best drivers out there with the lowest latency you can get and they support their products for the longest period of time after release.
So when prices are this similar (for EU-residents :wink: ) I’m pretty sure I would choose an older audiointerface from RME over a new from MOTU.

2 Likes

From Sweetwater (roughly converted from US to Euro):
Motu Ultralite Mk5: 500 Euro’s
RME FireFace UC: 1175 Euro’s

Yes, I’m aware that the prices I’m listing only applies to residents of the EU and not people in the US.

I’d probably be interested in the MOTU as well if I were living in the US, but I’m living in the EU (Denmark), so price is not really the deciding factor (because they are almost the same), it has to be something else. The next most important thing has to be the I/O’s and the drivers. The I/O options are almost the same, so that leaves us with the drivers :wink:

just showing how drastic it is. we’d all prefer RME ourselves.
debating selling my 828s and going the RME route

Fair enough - The price difference in the US does seem very drastic.

1 Like

Thomann ships to the US. UPS Express Shipping to Texas is ~$27.
RME Fireface UC: $839. Thomann link.
RME Fireface UCX: $1085. Thomann link.

Their $4 TotalMix FX iPad app doesn’t appear to support the UC, but the UCX is supported via direct-USB-connection (not remote network - their other app is for that). MIDI-control appears to be possible.

SOS iPad 2 + UCX review from 2012. 2012!

I’m looking to purchase either the UL MK5, UCX, or Midas MR18.

1 Like

A question for owners of previous MKs.
I want to sync the octatrack with ableton so ableton is the masterclock, and I want to sample ableton clips on the fly and get the audio out of the octatrack into ableton.
Does ultralite have a low latency and send solid midi ?

Do people have this setup? I have never seen anyone do like that

Yes. I do this with my OTMK1 and UL MK4 without issue.

I run a 64 sample buffer at 48khz and the MOTU output latency is well under 1.9ms
At 44.1khz it is under 2ms output (3.99ms round trip)

It takes a fast computer to operate at 64 samples without drop outs. Mine is a 2015 quad i7 4ghz iMac.

4 Likes

Finally the MK4 could be sufficient, the latency of the MK5 is 1ms higher but the loopback function is a plus :slight_smile:
Ultralite is the fastest interface?

The other AVB era interfaces are equally fast , and still some interfaces by other brands are faster. But it does depend on your computer.
Search the forum for lowest latency audio interface. There is an existing thread or three already on that topic.

2 Likes

Hrm, I wish there was a tiny version of it with less I/O but I suppose the platforms don’t scale down radically in $ based on a few less Neutrik connectors and size :wink:

M4 too big?

3 Likes

the mk4 was a solid improvement over the mk3 (i have both) so take that fwiw…lol

1 Like
1 Like

ah, i’ll check it out thanks!

is that well regarded? Not so familiar with the brand.

Neither am I. But it’s a nice form factor if you need small/portable.
I mean, it’s Amazon…can always send it back on their dime.

Wish I read this before purchase

FYI, those things seem ok on mac, but there’s a continuous audio glitch in their windows drivers, with no real fix. My partner just sent one back after a bunch of attempts to make it viable.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be using it for my main interface, but for something small enough to take in your back pocket or leave in you bag for those “just in case” moments.