New MOTU Ultralite MK5 announced!

It’s unfortunate you weren’t aware before purchasing, and spent money based on an assumption.

I haven’t seen an interface with at least 8 analog input / 8 analog outputs offer bus power over USB. And certainly not on interfaces with so many DC coupled outlets.
Firewire, sure. But not USB.

FWIW, MOTU interfaces work with a variety of power sources. the Ultralite MK4 and MK5 include a 15V PSU, but they each work with 12-18V DC, 1A, and either polarity on the connector works. So battery packs with DC 12V outlets work. “Maybe” a ripcord would work with a simpler 12V USB power bank, though that would require research. MOTU has been advising folks on how to run their interfaces in mobile environments for over 15 years, going back to the original Traveler. So consider reaching out to them to find a solution.

I realize you probably prefer to use the battery in your laptop for power instead, but it’s simply not possible. Research prior to purchase is always a must, especially if you have specific needs.

4 Likes

Some devices I use the rip cords. Mixed results, but the manufacturer is really good I getting back to you if a ripcord will power a certain device if you are looking to use one. Usually responds within 24hrs.

https://myvolts.com/Ripcord

For sure. Totally my bad on assumption and now that I’ve been whiny, I realize this is still the interface I want right now.

4 Likes

Good company. I’ve had a pair of ESI monitors since 2004. Still going strong.

1 Like

Sure. FYI, though, it’s a pretty invasive “tick” every second or so on Windows— basically sounds like a regular dropped sample. YMMV whether or not you can live with that.

Windows? What’s that?

Just picked up one of these. It’s not the most exciting €600 I ever spent, I admit that. That’s usually case with those workhorse utilities… But it sure solves a lot of problems. Setup was quick and problem-free on my Big Sur iMac, as expected.

Bonus: the fit and finish is remarkably similar to the Digitakt, so the DT sits perfectly on top of it.

8 Likes

Mine sits on too of my super old MOTU Micro Express! :slight_smile: both have tough metal cases that inspire confidence (and some 3M hook and loop tape helps keep them together so no sliding!).

You are right that it is not as exciting as a nee noisemaker or processor, but it is a damn near perfect audio interface because of the number and type of connections.

For those that anticipating needing more than the 8 onboard inputs, what are you thinking of using for adding up to 8 additional inputs via the optical input?

Behringer ADA8200, Second hand Motu 8 Pre or Focusrite Preamp

1 Like

Which of the three are you leaning towards the most for your setup?

Maybe the Behringer ADA8200 just because it’s the cheapest and probably equal or slightly better than a used Motu 8 Pre. Price should be similar.

If you don’t need mic pres, probably an old Traveler or 828 Mk2 would be on the same level of the Motu 8 Pre. Price is also similar.

1 Like

I use a traveler MK1 with my MK4. No complaints, and since it had both inputs and outputs over ADAT, digital clock can come from the MK4 which makes the traveler sound better.

Got it for $125 on eBay

5 Likes

I have a Traveler Mk1 in a separate studio, which is working great with my partner’s old laptop. The only thing I don’t like about old Motus are the lever switches that can easily break. Sometimes mine gets stuck on boot and I have to switch it on/off a couple of times before it works. Having said so, I bought it in 2006.

1 Like

Yea I am rather conscious of those switches, myself. But no issues with mine. I do use them occasionally, as the 4 mic inputs are welcome when my Ultralite only has 2.
I really like the Ultralite/Traveler combo. 16 DC coupled outputs!

Those considering it should know that the old cuemix software does not work with Catalina without a lot of annoying tweaking that I wasn’t willing to do (Google “MOTU cuemix legacy Catalina”). Setting it up as a stand-alone converter is easiest with cuemix software on Mojave or earlier.
It is possible to set it up without a computer, but is a little bit of a challenge with the 2 line menu/buttons/2 menu encoders. But you only have to do it once, thankfully. You’re basically setting up digital mix busses that link ADAT input/output pairs to analog input/output pairs.

3 Likes

Is there any way you can give us confirmation if the cuemix app on iOS has direct control of the mixing software from iOS, or is it a remote app to control the CueMix on your mac?
This is a make or break case for a lot of us iOS producers.

Obviously not trying to take advantage but…

I’d left one of these in my cart at http://musictrack.co.uk/ and received a 10% off voucher a few days later. Makes the price a little easier to cope with!

Lovely!

Thanks, and thanks as well @AdamJay

I should start working on my own detailed comparison of the MK5 vs. my yet-unopened Scarlett 18i8, before deciding on whether to put up the Scarlett for sale and get the MK5 or just use the Scarlett.

I also need to look a little deeper into the pros and cons of aggregate audio interfaces in Mac OS.

I think 8 inputs are more than enough for me now, but it doesn’t hurt to be aware of options.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with aggregate devices, they work. Sometimes in the past ive had them become “unaggregated”.
I do recommend AdamJay’s route of using ADAT as its not software/macOS dependent, but limited to 8 channels.

2 Likes