New No Masters EP - Computer Hate

Enjoying the music I’m making for the first time in ages.

Did these two last night/this morning and they both feel like two sides of the same thing, might as well put them out there.

36 Likes

I enjoyed that. Quite Lyra-esque in some ways – or the stuff you were doing with the Erica Fusion System. Which means you’re doing a bloody fine job of making things not sound like a computer :black_heart:

3 Likes

Cheers.

What I’ve learned over the last couple of years is how little distortion you actually need for good distortion.

That and Max is really fucking good.

8 Likes

Great Fin thats the result of the laptop voyage? lets take a ride

1 Like

So far…

Still got a lot to learn.

1 Like

Nice.

1 Like

Nice noises ! I support.

1 Like

Some premium Apple wanker sounds there!

7 Likes

Very nice. I really dig the string sounds you get in 2 and in some of you other works like Volume 2 Analog Intelligence. Reminds me of Jeff Mills’ old Axis stuff, hope you don’t mind the comparison. How did you create those strings (if you’re up for sharing your secrets)?

Not at all, at some point I’d like to think Mills might accidentally nick one of my tracks and claim it as his own, as is the fashion these days…

So the string sound in Analogue Intelligence was done with a lot of modular and a lot of tube distortion, but was basically a mix of saw and square waves through various layers of distortion and reverb, with parallel ring mod and some EQ.

The string sounds on this one are much simpler, mostly just additive synthesis, using sine waves on the fundamental and lower partials and saw waves on the higher partials, then lowering the amplitude by small increments as the partials go higher. Bit of distortion and a smidge of delay and reverb and Bob’s your uncle.

4 Likes

Tim Apple going to be proud

3 Likes

Motherfucker’s work is done.

That’s why he’s taken that big pay cut, there’s no one left to sell Macs to.

4 Likes

:rofl:

Thanks for the info. Clearly I need to get better at designing my own string sounds. When you got it sounding almost like a cello :chefs-kiss:

I was thinking of your comments about hating granular. Seems odd since to me granular is really good for drones. I imagine a piece of your tracks in a granular would come out really cool…

1 Like

I don’t actually hate granular.

I’m not really me.

2 Likes

Perfect statement. :rofl:

This persona I’m talking to has sent my brain spinning for quite some time more than once. Makes total sense now. I look forward to being kept on my toes.

1 Like

3 Likes

It reminds me a bit of those darker GAS albums.

2 Likes

High praise, thanks.

2 Likes

I’m not high. I only smoke weed around 8:30pm here.

3 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes