New Rytm : Noise hearable. Is it normal?

I noticed this as well when my Rytm first showed up. When I first got it, I couldn’t listen to it with my studio monitors, so I was using headphones only. The headphones output was very noisy with the volume above the half way point. I was concerned about it, but once I hooked it up to my mixer the normal outputs didn’t have the same issue. I figured that Elektron will hopefully update this in future updates. For now I just don’t use the headphones output directly from the Rytm itself. Instead, It is always connected to my mixer that has monitor out and it’s own headphone out for when I can’t listen with the studio monitors…

Hi Monopete
I have the A4, OT and RYTM.
I agree with you, the RYTM is noisier than the A4 or OT.
And yes, I would expect the RYTM to be quiet like the A4, I don’t understand it either.
I’ll update to 1.02 (I’m on 1.01), maybe that will sort it out as noise is mentioned in the fixes.

Have you guys done a calibration?

And yes, I would expect the RYTM to be quiet like the A4, I don’t understand it either.[/quote]
But they are quite different.

The OT is a digital machine using only hi-fi D/A converters directly through its analog output amps.

The AF has 4 analog voices going through
[ul]
[li]an analog mixer stage, [/li]
[li]an analog volume pot, [/li]
[li]an analog output amplifier.[/li]
[/ul]

The AR has 8 analog voices going through
[ul]
[li]an analog mixing stage,[/li]
[li]an analog distortion,[/li]
[li]an analog compressor, [/li]
[li]an analog volume pot,[/li]
[/ul]

The more, the merrier/noisier. :slight_smile:

Also: in the AF, the voices tend to be quite silent when not playing, thanks to their VCAs that end the sounds.
In the AR, the voices are noisier if the VCAs are left open. It can be wise to make sure the VCAs close when not playing, since there is no guarantee that they do just because the drum sounds have ended.

And yes, I would expect the RYTM to be quiet like the A4, I don’t understand it either.[/quote]
But they are quite different.

The OT is a digital machine using only hi-fi D/A converters directly through its analog output amps.

The AF has 4 analog voices going through
[ul]
[li]an analog mixer stage, [/li]
[li]an analog volume pot, [/li]
[/ul]

The AR has 8 analog voices going through
[ul]
[li]an analog mixing stage,[/li]
[li]an analog distortion,[/li]
[li]an analog compressor, [/li]
[li]an analog volume pot,[/li]
[li]an analog output mixer.[/li]
[/ul]

The more, the merrier/noisier. :slight_smile:

Also: in the AF, the voices tend to be quite silent when not playing, thanks to their VCAs that end the sounds.
In the AR, the voices are noisier if the VCAs are left open. It can be wise to make sure the VCAs close when not playing, since there is no guarantee that they do just because the drum sounds have ended.[/quote]
yup, for me it is not a problem, I was confirming that there is more noise than an A4 which I initially was disappointed with. I am a happy RYTMer

Did you try setting the DEC value in the Amp settings of every of the 12 tracks to something below INF? Maybe this helps lowering the noise.

Can these defaults be edited?

Is this your first analog synthesizer? Your “noisy” track sounded absolutely fine to me.

This is analog. It’s noisy. As /mr said earlier, the more voices, the noiser it’s going to be. That’s just the nature (and beauty) of the beast.

Need proof? Try listening to “Blue Monday” with a good set of headphones one of these days if you want to hear noise. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks Guys! This analog equipment is new to me. I had only digital equipment before. I have to adjust.It´s not a big deal. The demo-machine at my hardware-dealer has the same noise. I´m glad that my Rytm is ok.

Thanks for the amazing support!

Cheers Pete

…a question still remains though, at least for me: why is the headphones’ output noisier than the normal outs? i’m ok with the ‘it’s analog, therefore it’s noisy…’ (even though it seems like from the previous posts that the other two analog machine are less noisier) … but why is this happening?
definitely not a deal breaker…normal outputs work just fine, more a matter of curiosity (which hopefully, won’t kill the cat :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

but how can u compare the outputs accurately?

This is a Guga joke; he is deaf
But I like what he does anyway.

1499 eu for a machine with noisy buggy output :smiley: I guess I will throw off Rytm from my wishlist if Elektron wont fix this :slight_smile:

:smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: