New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

You are right, I was only talking about Europe (ence the prices in euros).

1 Like

How would you call a person who pay a grand for a SH-4d?

Summary

A Canadian

17 Likes

No need for that sort of language.

8 Likes

But
 but I just listened to the Roland SH-4D in a review of a very musical and talented lad for 10 seconds on my laptop speakers and I can definitively conclude it sounds SO MUCH BETTER than a Syntakt!

6 Likes

14 Likes

:joy:

Well
 totally different palettes I think
 I’m not even sure it makes sense to compare.

I do like the knobs too.

I used the 707 for creating/editing sequences for some swing feel, snare rolls that are not tightly within the grid, etc.

But I later MPC One that lets me do all that off-grid, time feel stuff with less effort. Mainly because the pads are more responsive.

If I do get an SH-4d, it will be the 2nd hardware unit that has wavetable anything, oddly enough. The first being a M8 Tracker.

Quite a few things I’m pondering myself

1 Like

It really doesn’t.

And yet

2 Likes

You can find things not present in Sh-4d and things not present in Syntakt.

We can’t ever be objective about gear, but we can clarify our own perceived, subjective shortcomings of X, and what we wished would be better. As I’m sure will happen when people get their hands on this thing.

No need to make it into a thing.

2 Likes

Is this better than Waldorf Blofeld as a multi-timbral synth? Has Blofeld deeper synth engine?

1 Like

Looks like a fun hands on instrument and I like the ‘machinelike’ models, which’ll probably get you to useful sounds quickly.

No reason to ditch my 707 just yet though.

As far as synth engines go, I’d say Zen core is probably as deep as the Blofeld engine (which is itself pretty wild) if not more. But what you have here is a constrained version of zen core, which is a trade-off to make it a lot more user friendly than, say, an mc707 (or a blofeld).

So yeah
 apples and oranges.

2 Likes

LMAO hope you got all your cables plugged in tight, i don’t see how anything could go wrong here

2 Likes

There’s so much overlap with the MC101 it doesn’t seem like ENOUGH of a separate market that they aren’t cannibalizing their own customers/market?

As evidence by more than one person saying: i’m gonna sell my MC for this.

At this point I consider these features a prank between japanese engineers.

2 Likes

bEkVqYB

15 Likes

Except it’s already available on OP-1, OP-Z and mobile devices.

I’m guessing they’re catering to a very specific market.

3 Likes

This is almost undoubtedly easier to work with as a multi timbral synth but like its wave tables don’t even come close to what you can do with a Waldorf synth from what I’ve seen, definitely some cool modern sounds coming out of the SH4D though.

1 Like