New Synth: Roland Sh-4d

I’ve watched many of these videos today and it looks like it has fun potential at the asking price, but it’s definitely got that same “retro” digital sound that other Roland gear has that I’ve tried. I feel it might be a love/hate thing with that sound palette. I think the key here is managing expectation - as a £500 kitchen table groovebox this might be a lot of fun. It’s probably not going to change the musical landscape. It looks MUCH easier to program your own sounds than the 101 and 707. Even though I have a love/hate relationship with my Syntakt I love the ease of programming, I think it’s critical with a groovebox.

I found the FX on the 101/707 pretty naff as well, I wonder if it would be the same with this.

2 Likes

Been thinking about getting a multitimbral polyphonic synth.

This looks nice, and sounds good. Not having limitless encoders will probably screw me up a few times.

A sequencer is always nice to have, even if it’s a bit more basic. I’ve been eyeing the Access Virus B for around 500€ 2nd hand, we’ll see. But like some folks said, there’s shows coming up. Might as well wait a bit, and later in the summer/year some might go for really cheap 2nd hand, and we’ll see more of what this year has to offer.

I like where the winds are blowing though.

I‘m the opposite. They all sound great to me
Besides the cheesy pcm acoustic stuff

5 Likes

[quote=“Tchu, post:221, topic:189138”]

Just the “sounds better than the Syntakt” post that all gear threads on here are obligated to include these days…

5 Likes

People love to compare this to the syntakt but forget the fact this is sold at 1/2 of Syntakt price.
Its closer in price point to the Models products, and if you compare the Roland sh-4d to the Model:cycles or the Model:Samples, its not even close .

Yes it’s not elektron workflow/sequencer but it has infinitely more sound design potential.

Off course Roland got inspired by Elektron and mostly the Syntakt/Cycles, but imo they went way further into this direction. Giving you the choice to do deep sound design with menu-diving or more immediate but more shallow sound design with the macro controls.

Wish Elektron would get some inspiration back and deliver something like this (which somehow makes me think of the MnM in some ways) with the deeper elektron sequencer, actual portability and macro controls…? So like a MegaModel? hahaha

4 Likes

A cool new piece of gear. I drooled for a minute in the morning when I saw it.

Then I realized it offers nothing that my current setup can’t achieve (except the visual arpeggiator). Zero GAS, long live NGNY 2023!

13 Likes

First time I’ve been motivated to pre-order anything (haven’t done so yet, but I’m actually considering it for once). This thing looks perfect for my use case. Lots of reasonable criticism on this thread too - it’s clearly not going to be for everyone, and it doesn’t appear that it’s trying to be.

Initial thoughts:

• Sounds really good.
  • Timbrality is pretty impressive for the price point.
  • The buttons look very much like the ones on the DB-01 and the LXR-02 (which I like).
  • Sequencer looks imperfect but capable enough, in spite of not meeting the Elektron gold standard.
  • Lack of endless encoders is a strange choice for this form factor.
  • The gyroscope “feature” is ridiculous. Hopefully the parts and engineering that went into that are a negligible portion of the price, I’d hate to be paying extra for that nonsense.

Planning on pairing this with the M:S if I end up grabbing one. Hard to imagine wanting for much with that setup.

2 Likes

They are.

Just have to wait until someone who writes the kind of music you like gets one, I guess.

Or even better, get one yourself and keep making music on it until you’re making the music you like on it.

2 Likes

Syntakt

1099 euros on official elektron website.

Roland Sh-4D

599 euros on Thomann website.

You were saying? hahahah

2 Likes

That’s not exactly the half :joy:

1 Like

MC-707 has microtiming, song mode (scene chaining), among other things. But if you’re cool with giving up those features, the swap might be worth it.

1 Like
1 Like

It’s tricky. I don’t use it much because it’s a bit too big but it’s way more powerful.

The knobs on the sh-4d really appeal

Im referencing official prices, Yes you can get cheaper syntakts but the official price is 1099 euros as stated on elektron website, and the official price of the Roland sh-4d is around 600 euros as stated on multiple review videos so far.

Which, As I wrote earlier, place the Roland sh-4d closer to the price of a Model:cycles than a syntakt.

2 Likes

This has nothing to do with being mug I am just referencing the official prices lol.

3 Likes

Hey man, easy on the ad hominems. The point here is that there is a price difference.

5 Likes

It depends on which part of the planet you are. In Canada, the SH-4d is in between Model and Syntakt.

2 Likes

You can’t really compare the RRP for one thing with the street price of another.

The SH-4D will probably be under £500 in the shops in a few months.

1 Like

A grand-takt.

6 Likes